13 | The Best Plan Ever - Rob a Bank

Mona had called Dennis into her apartment a few hours back so they could both listen to what Fin had to say. Lucien showed up at the door just after Dennis, saying he had a feeling something interesting was going on.

He was impatient all through Fin's story, but Dennis and Mona listened to every word and were practically drowning in them.

"This could be a murder," Mona said as Fin finished, and Lucien nodded like it was a valid theory.

"I didn't tell anyone about Liza, I swear," Fin said hastily.

"It's too much of a coincidence that she'd be tempted to take the pills right after she promised you she won't!"

"Is it?" He sat up straighter. "Did you know she was an alcoholic in high school?"

"Well no-"

"Weird. I thought you said you were her best friend."

Just as Mona was about to retort, Dennis shot her a pleading glance. He couldn't deal with fights, not after listening to all of it.

"Okay, Shadows could have killed her, I'm not saying it isn't a possibility." Fin said wildly. Mona sighed. It was like having a living zombie on her couch. The dark circles under his eyes said he hasn't been getting sleep, yet he sounded way too energetic, as if he had consumed tons of caffeine. "I just don't think I told them anything. We were careful. She made sure we were careful."

Lucien leaned forwards. "You're not responsible for her death, human. Don't beat yourself up. Overdoses are much more common than you think and even if it was a murder, it's still not your fault. Liza obviously knew the risks when she came forward to help you."

Mona frowned, surprised at his almost-kind words. She didn't take him to be that nice. Well, she didn't take him to an actual ghost either. He was full of surprises.

"It's my fault," Fin said softly. "I gave her the drugs. I did. I knew she was going to use it. Her eyes were practically yelling for help."

"Not your fault," Dennis looked up from his hands. "If anything, we share the blame — except maybe Casper. I still don't know what he's doing here, by the way."

Lucien had nothing but a smile for him.

"We should have known a lot about her," Mona agreed. "Fin, you hardly knew her for a week. We've had practice disappointing her through her whole life."

Lucien let out a sigh of annoyance. "I believe I just said none of this is anyone's fault? Except for the killer, if there was one. If not, I'm sorry to say she's been betrayed by her own decisions."

"That doesn't make sense," Mona objected. "If she was an alcoholic, she said she was better now. What could possibly trigger her to use drugs she knew she shouldn't?"

"Maybe that visit from her mother?" Dennis suggested.

"What visit?"

"I don't know, she looked upset when I visited her one day, and she said her mother stopped by again."

"Do you think they fought?" Fin asked.

"Possibly. I always knew she had a strained relationship with her mother, but I didn't know the details," Dennis sighed.

Apparently, both of you didn't know a lot of things about her — Disha's words echoed in Mona's mind, and she couldn't help but think how accurate that was.

How sad is it that your own friends don't get to know you until you are dead?

"No one's asking the interesting questions!" Lucien plumped himself beside Fin, one of his hands going around his shoulders like they were old buddies.