4

"There has to be another way out of here," Y/n said as the kids ran back into the library of the house.  "There's one way," "But that's impossible," Klaus said as he looked out the window. "That's at least a 100-foot drop," "Or a 100-foot climb," Violet began to come up with a plan despite her brother's protests. "Then what?" Violet wasn't ready to answer that question, she wasn't ready to answer any questions she didn't know what to do or who to go to for help.

The two siblings tried to think about what Count Olaf was up to or how he was gonna try to obtain the Baudelaire fortune this time. "Maybe Aunt Josephine was right, the world is a scary place and we should be afraid," Klaus admitted. "Hey, don't say that," Y/n said putting a hand on his shoulder. "The world may be scary, but it's also a very amazing place. You can't enjoy the good things if you're too worried about worrying about the bad things. So let's find a way to stop him so we can save Josephine, and you Baudelaire's," 

"But no matter who we tell no one will listen to us," Klaus trembled as he sat down on the small bench. Y/n sat next to him and put her hand on top of his. "I will listen to you. Count Olaf will pay for his crimes no matter what, and I won't let him hurt you anymore. I'll do my best to help you no matter what," Klaus glanced at her hand on top of his and a saddened smile graced his lips as he felt as if someone had finally listened to the Baudelaires, someone had finally believed them, someone had finally made them feel safe.

"Life is a conundrum of esoterica. That's what Uncle Monty-" "Uncle Monty is dead," Klaus interrupted. He had felt so hurt by all the people he lost he didn't know what to do anymore. "Uncle Monty may be dead, but Aunt Josephine isn't. She didn't protect us from Count Olaf, but we can still protect her.  We have to warn her even if it's dangerous," Klaus softly chuckled t his sister's braveness. She didn't sound scared like him, she sounded gallant and ready to help her Aunt. "Remember what mother said? Do the scary thing first-" "And get scared afterward," Klaus finished. Klaus took a deep breath and got up from his seat. Y/n let go of his hand and stood up. "I'll see what I can find," He said feeling more confident as he started to look at the papers on the library desk. "I'll work on that ladder," Violet smiled. "Y/n, you should help Klaus with his research," Y/n nodded and went to join Klaus at the desk.  The three went to work to find Josephine and stop Count Olaf's plan.

§

'Crash'

"What was that?" Y/n said as she looked at the Baudelaires.  They shot up and rushed to the library. They called out for Josephine scared to find out what happened. "Aunt Josephine?" Violet called out again as she rushed down the stairs holding her sister. They walked into the library only to hear the wind whistling and to see the window had been broken. Josephine jumped out and plummeted to her death. "Aunt Josephine..." Violet whimpered as she saw the horrendous sight.  Klause noticed a note on the table under a book and went to go pick it up. 

"What is it?" "A suicide note..." Y/n made a small gasp as her eyes began to tear up. "Violet, Klaus, Sunny, and Y/n: buy the time you read this my life will be at it's end," Klaus read aloud. Violet softly cried out while Y/n's eyes flooded with tears. As they gazed out the wide window and looked at the large lake where they assumed the Baudelaires guardian lay. Their hearts began to ache and they no longer felt brave in this terrifying world. 

"It can't be," Violet cried. Y/n placed her hands on Violet and Klaus's shoulder in a meek effort to comfort them in a time that no amount of effort could make the children feel better. "We must tell Mr. Poe," Klause nodded and the children walked out of the now cold and depressing library to make a call to the banker at Mulctuary Money Management. The banker who had put the children under Count Olaf's atrocious so-called care. The same banker who never believed the children.   Violet lifted the glass cover off the telephone and began to dial Mr. Poe's number.

Once Violet was on the phone with him she explained their predicament and read the note that she left behind the banker. "Yes, Yes. I understand. I'll tell them. Of course, I'll tell them. I promise I'll tell them," She said in a fake cheery tone. She hung the phone and fell back into her slump. "Mr. Poe says we can always rely on Mulctuary Money Management," She sighed.  Klaus took the not from his sister and examined it. "I just can't believe it," "It's all there in ink and shaky handwriting. Aunt Josephine is dead and she's left us in the care of Count Olaf," Klaus sighed as he looked at the note. "It's not right, there's something funny about this note," Violet didn't think there was anything funny written in the letter and didn't think it was funny that the new guardian had jumped to her death. 

"Not funny as in a joke, funny as in funny smell," Klaus sighed. "Let me show you," The kids went back to the library and went to the desk. Klaus turned on the lamp and put the note down. "In the very first sentence, she says "My life will be at it's end." See?" "Violet didn't understand, but Y/n took a look at the note and understood immediately what Klaus meant. "It's the wrong 'its'. She used an apostrophe, meaning 'It is'. If you read it out the sentence is-" "Grammticaly incorrect," Violet sighed at the two. "Who cares about grammatical errors when she jumped out of a window?" "Aunt Josephine would. She said grammar was the greatest joy in her life besides Ike," Violet was still not seeing the big picture and did not understand what Klus was getting at. To her, Josephine had ended her life and they were now in Count Olaf's care, but to Klaus and Y/n there was something much more. 

"She spelled unbearable wrong," Y/n pointed out as she skimmed the letter. "Inbearable isn't a word," Klaus added. "Our situation isn't inbearble it's unbearable. Aunt Josephine left us in the care of Captian Sham, and I don't know what we can do about it,"  The children were now regretting reading the suicide note to their banker. They wished they had forged a note that excluded Captain Sham. "Maybe it's not her handwriting at all," Sunny babbled making the kids turn to her. "That has to be the only reason," Y/n agreed. "Well, what do we do now?" "We wait for Mr. Poe to come, then we can figure something out," Violet said. They all went back to the bedroom and got ready for bed. "Y/n you can sleep with me in my dead, I don't mind," Violet offered. Y/n nodded and lay in her bed next to the girl. They turned out the lights and tried to go to sleep but they could still hear the wind whistle from the Wide Window.