8

"Do you think this will work?" Violet asked as she looked at Y/n. Y/n had spent a lot of time on the water, but that was when the water was calm and there was not a hurricane present. "I can't say it will, but all I can do is hope," She said, voice coated in fear and uncertainty.  Y/nnfixed her raincoat and hood and turned to the others in confirmation. She pushed the boat into the water and set the sail. They began sailing into the water and Y/n sat next to the tiller to help guide the boat. Unlike the baudelaires, Y/n had a good knowledge of how a sailboat worked and knew what she was doing. 

The trip was life-threatening, to say the least, whirlpools, big rocks, and huge waves were all the things that they encountered, but the light purple hue from the lighthouse began to come into view.  The hurricane began to die down and the children could finally rest. The purple hues danced along their skin as they sat in the boat. Y/n smiled as she looked all around her. "Lake Lachrymose is actually very pretty," Klaus said as he looked at Y/n.  "I never noticed it before," He admitted with a small smile.  "I guess we just got used to seeing it through Aunt Josephine's eyes," 

The boat began to approach the cave and the three all noticed something immediately amount arrival.  "Curdled Cave is for sale," "Who would want to live in such a phantasmagorical place?" Violet asked as she saw how eerie the cave looked. A noise started to erupt from the cave scaring Violet and Y/n. "What's that noise?" Y/n asked. "Don't worry, it's just the wind," Klaus reassured. "I've read that when wind passes through small places like caves, it makes strange noises. It's nothing to be afraid of," But the girls were still very much afraid of the strange noises.

Once the boat had finally come to its stop the children rushed into the cave. Josephine was sitting on the floor moaning in woe until Klaus grabbed her attention. "Children! You figured it out!" She rejoiced.  "I knew you would decode my message!" "It was more Klaus who decoded it," Violet said, giving her brother the credit he deserved. "But without Y/n, we wouldn't have been able to sail here, and Sunny spotted the lighthouse," Violet said looking at her siblings and friend. "Well I am so glad to see all of you," She smiled. Her smile quickly drained and she began panting. "Let me just catch my breath and I'll help you bring in your things," The children glanced at each other with a perplexed look on their faces. 

"What thing?" Violet asked. "Your luggage of course," Josephine panted. "I hope you brought food, I'm out," "We didn't bring any food," Klaus admitted. "No food? Then how do you expect to live in this cave with me, if you didn't bring any food?" Violet protested the living circumstances. Josephine was confused as to why the children came all the way to the cave if they were not planning on living here.  "Everyone thought you were dead, and in your will and testament, you put us in the care of Captain Sham,"  Violet said. "He forced me to do that," Josephine professed.  She explained how Count Olaf made her do and how she had staged her death. 

"Why didn't you take us with you? Why did you leave us all alone by ourselves?" Violet's voice cracked from the anger and sadness in her tone. "Oh, Violet..." Josephine sighed. "That is grammatically incorrect," Violet and the others sighed as they realized Josephine only cared about grammar and not how her poor decisions affected them.  Josephine continued to lecture them about the grammatical error even though the children did not care about it. "We've had a very trying day, but I don't think Captian SHam will ever find us here," She said. "We can share curdled cave for the rest of our lives," Y/n glanced at the Baudelaires and back to Josephine. 

"What do you mean forever? I have to go home to my family, and you need to go back and tell Mr. Poe you're alive," "No way, José! I am too frightened of Count Olaf to face him," Klaus tried to reason with her but she was too stubborn and ridden with fear to join the children.  She insisted on staying in the cave, but the children tried to explain how Josephine needed to come back home. "We were afraid when you brought home Count Olaf, We were afraid when we thought you jumped out a window, we were afraid to give ourselves allergic reactions, we were afraid to steal a sailboat, we were afraid to make our way across Lake Lachrymose during a hurricane, but that didn't stop us!" Violet protested as she listed all the scary things they had to do. "I can't help that you are braver than I am," She whined. "I can't do it," She told the children about how she was going to live in Curdled Cave for the rest of her life and the children could not stop her.

"you know Curdled Cave is for sale?" Klaus spoke up. "So what?" "Wel, that just means that before long, certain people are going to want to look at it," He said as he walked up to the panicked woman.  "Some of those people..." He said as he inched closer to her. "Will be real estate agents," This sent a shock through Josephine's veins as she imagined the people showing up to the cave she wanted to call her home. "Okay, let's go,"  SHe said with no hesitation. The children smiled and Y/n gave her a high-five. Josephine grabbed her life vest and they all made their stolen sailboat. They all boarded and began to sail the lake.  

The ride was slow and the purple hue from the lighthouse was the only thing illuminating their surroundings.  Josephine kept making noises in fear as she looked at the water below her.  "Aunt Josephine, I really wish you would stop saying that," Violet sighed. "Hurricane Herman is over and Y/n is sailing the sailboat just fine. We'll be back at Damocles Dock by morning. We're as safe as can possibly be expected," Klaus pulled out the photo he had found when he was dangling from the window of Josephine's old house and gave it to her.  "Maybe you can think back to a time when you were a little bit more fierce and formidable,"  A smile graced Josephine's lips as she recalled all the memories from the photo. "Lucky Smells Lumbermill, it's not that far from here," She recalled all the people from the photo.

"They never told us about you, they never told us about Uncle Monty. I have a feeling there's lots of things they never told us about,"  Josephine let out a sigh. "Your parents, Baudelaires, wanted to raise you in a quiet world, far away from the fiery injustices that were threatening all of us. They were trying to keep you safe,"  "It didn't work," He said sadly. " No. No, it didn't," Josephine agreed. "Not long after this photograph was taken, your parents and I had to make a vastly frightening decision. I remember that day so well, Klaus," SHe began to tell the story behind that photo, but her attention was quickly diverted to the lake. "We are now entering the territory of the Lacrymose Leeches," She began to cry about her husband and how his favorite food caused his doom. 

"I'm sure we'll be fine, you said they don't attack unless you have recently eaten something," Violet reassured.  "The only thing we've eaten were those peppermints at the Anxious Clown. That was brunch and it's almost morning now," Klaus said. "You didn't eat anything recently, did you, Aunt Josephine?" Violet asked. She stayed silent not wanting to admit what she had done. "Aunt Josephine?" "Banana," Was all she muttered. "I ate a banana just before you arrived," Klaus tried to reassure Josephine even though panic was starting to settle and they were all growing fearful. "Uh, Klaus," Y/n said as she looked out into the water. The boy turned to the direction she was looking at and gulped. 

"Uh-oh,"