6

"I did not know this was a sad occasion. In that case, allow me to recommend the Cheer-Up Cheeseburgers," The waiter said in a shaky voice. "The pickles, mustard, and ketchup make a little smiley face on top of the burger, which is bound to cheer you up, so make sure to look inside before you eat it,"  Y/n raised an eyebrow at the waiter. He was acting strange and had mentioned Josephine's name with no prior knowledge of her before. Something was strange and she knew she needed to figure it out before the brunch ended.

"That's a wonderful idea, Cheer-Up Cheeseburgers for everyone, Larry!" Captian Sham said ordering a round of burgers for everyone. The children glanced at each other once more noticing the odd behavior of the waiter.  Mr. Poe and Captain Sham continued to talk about the Baudelaire's financial statement and how Captain Sham could not use the fortune until Violet was of age.

"I have no interest in a fortune. I have my sailboat," "Lies," Y/n muttered. "That's no way to speak tonight new guardian," Y/n looked up at the grimy man and glanced at the Baudelaire's through the side of her eye. "I'm sorry, but I'm not an orphan, I live with my uncle," "Not yet you aren't," Count Olaf mumbled without his accent.
Y/n's eyes widened as she heard the man's threat. She turned to the Baudelaire's to see if they had heard the statement and they were in just as much shock.

What would a little girl and her uncle that lived by a large lake have to do with Count Olaf? She couldn't figure anything out. She racked her brain for answers, but nothing was coming to light. Her brain felt empty. She couldn't think of all the puzzles she usually thought of and she couldn't comprehend what Olaf's remark meant.

"Mr. Poe surely you can see that this man is-" "Beverages!" Violet was cut off by Larry the waiter as he paraded in with a tray of drinks. "Coffee for the gentleman, a Fuzzy Navel for the sailor," Larry listed as he set the drinks down in front of everyone. "What? This isn't what I ordered?" It's a gift from someone in the kitchen," He explained. "And water and Ice for the Baudelaire's and Miss. L/n," The children glanced at each other as they took their drinks from the clown-themed waiter. "You know our names?" Violet questioned/ The children never said their names to the waiter, so they were confused as to how he knew them.  "Of course I don't know your names," He quivered with an upset face before he made his way back into the kitchen once more to prepare their orders. 

"I've completely forgotten what we were saying. Don't you hate that?" Mr.Poe said as he turned back to the children. "We were saying that is Count Olaf,"  Y/n reminded.  "The waiter? He didn't seem odd," "Not the waiter. Him!" Klaus pointed. "You've done something terrible to Aunt Josephine and you're scheming to get our fortune. You're also plotting to hurt Y/n's family," Violet ranted getting heated as she realized the banker who was supposed to protect them was failing greatly yet again. "Now why would Captian Sham do something terrible to his closest friend and a girl he never met until a couple of hours ago," Y/n sighed. "For the last time he isn't Captain Sham," Y/n repeated. "He's Count Olaf," The children said in unison. 

After a fit of coughing Mr. Poe lectured the children on how their terrible losses were no excuse for their behavior and how he had done the best in finding a suitable home for the children without doing background research prior. How nothing he did seemed good enough for the children. "Now I am going to follow through with the perfectly legal last will and testament that will place you under the care of the sailor you met yesterday," Y/n turned to the children and saw how the faces were contorted with hopelessness, fear, and anger for the banker and the villain that sat before them. "But if you insist, I will prove to you that Captian Sham and Count Olaf are two completely different people, step by step as if you were babies," Sunny babbled something in offense by Mr. Poe's statement. 

"Here are your Cheer- Up Cheeseburgers!" Larry the waiter said as he squeezed between Captian Sham and Mr. Poe. I mean to ask you," He said as he handed Violet her burger. While he was turned away grabbing another plate Mr. Poe was going on about the differences between captain Sham and Count Olaf. "I meant to ask.."  He turned away grabbing another plate. Mr. Poe continued to go on, but the children weren't interested. "If any of you had any food allergies..." Larry continued as he handed a plated to Klaus. "So I might've informed the chef..." He continued speaking over Mr. Poe as he gave Y/n her plate. "Who certainly would not want anyone to have an allergic reaction," The children looked at the clown-themed man with confusion in their eyes as they could not figure out why he was suddenly asking for food allergies after the food had already been given to them. 

"What would force them to leave the restaurant," Y/n's eyes widened as she now understood what the waiter was getting at. It was all making sense to her now as she finally pieced everything together.  His sudden reaction to Josephine's death, his knowledge of their names, and the sudden question of their foodborne allergies. He was trying to help them leave the restaurant.  "We're allergic to peppermints," Violet spoke up after Mr. Poe's long rant about Count Olaf. "What about you young lady?" "Id don't have any foodborne allergies. I'm just really good at helping in case someone breaks out," Y/n said trying to hint at her ability to get the Baudelaires to leave with her. "Get me another navel!" Larry took Sham's glass and rushed back into the kitchen. 

"If we could just go back to Aunt Josephine's" "There is something strange about that note,"  Mr. Poe dismissed the Baudelaire's efforts to leave once again.  "Now, Captian Sham I have some papers in my briefcase for you to sign," "And then the children will be mine?" Mr. Poe let out a nervous chuckle as he searched for the papers in his case. "You will be caring for them, yes," "And there's nothing in the world that can stop me?" Captian Sham asked trying to make sure his plane was foolproof. "That's a peculiar way of putting it, but yes I suppose,"  Larry emerged from the kitchen once more carrying a small tray. "I brought the bill. Take your time, I'm sure none of you are in any particular hurry,"  Larry said placing the bill in front of the children. Y/n grabbed the three peppermints that complimented the bill so Mr. Poe or Captain Sham wouldn't be skeptical of the Baudelaire's. She handed her friends a  peppermint.

Now, normally, Y/n would be opposed to doing something like this, but right now it was the only thing that could help them leave the restaurant and get back to Josephine's house.  The Baudelaire's quietly unwrapped the hard candy under the table and placed the perilous peppermint into their mouths without Mr. Por nor Captian Sham noticing.  Their reactions began within seconds of placing the candy into their mouths. They began to break out in hives and blisters while Klaus's tongue was swelling rapidly. "My god you look terrible," Mr. Poe said as he finally turned to the children.

"We're having allergic reactions," Violet informed. "I feel...I feel quite terrible," Klaus said, but his swollen tongue was giving him a prominent lisp. Sunny babbled in agreement as the allergies had affected her as well. Mr.Poe pointed out all the reactions the orphans were showcasing. "I think they should go home and rest. I know how to treat allergic reaction like these I can care for them while you and Captain Sham stay here and do paperwork. Y/n said knowing exactly how to leave the restaurant with the Baudelaire's.  "That's an excellent idea, Y/n. You three go home with Y/n and rest,"  Captian SHam of course protested the idea but Mr. Poe reassured them by telling him how the children were going to be in Y/n's care. "Plus we do have all this paperwork to fill out," "You do want the Baudelaire's in your care, right?" Y/n said with a smug smile on her face knowing Captian Sham was stuck. 

"Why you little..." "Yes, finish the paperwork and have a nice relaxing lunch and once you're finished Captian Sham can come fetch us at Aunt Josephine's house.  Violet got up from her seat and picked up Sunny from her highchair. The four children made their way out of the restaurant wasting no time. 

"I'll see you very soon,"