Chapter 3 - stay with me

Major Payday 2 spoilers.

——————

"I'm going to die soon."

They gasp in surprise.

"I've arranged a backup. You don't need me."

The team start thinking of a plan.

"There's nothing you can do."

None of them could find a better idea than the hacker downright moving into the Safehouse, and that's out of the question. Locke can't find a solution either, if the navigator wouldn't take their help then there's not much they can do.

Later, when they go to rescue Bain:
Dallas goes up to the roof, throwing open the double doors to find someone who's. curled into themselves like that would do anything against the guards who are surely approaching. His head snaps up at the sound, tears welling up in his eyes when he sees who it is. He stumbles and loses his footing.

Dallas catches him, mind screaming in a weird sense of recognition though his features were unfamiliar; having never seen him before. Despite this, he immediately knows who it is.

"You c-came, you came b-back for me." Bain trembles like a leaf in the wind. Dallas notices his eye, his ruined fingers, the wounds across his chest and feels a cold fury overcome him. He's going to kill that Dentist the first chance he gets.

The unofficial leader hoists the hacker up onto his back to carry him, looping his arms around his neck to help with the weight.

Bain is barely awake, probably because of direct contact being able to sync up their energies. Muttered strings made up of "thank you" and "sorry."

He can only reassure him and tell him to stay, but there's just so much blood. He can't handle the idea that their navigator would die before he escaped this wretched place.

Dallas is absolutely furious, firing at the Murkies with a deadly accuracy befitting of a sharpshooter. He was not in the mood to be playing games!

When the team leaves, he doesn't. He stands by the hacker's side until the blood dries, until he's made it.

Dallas stays next to him even when the doctors are checking on him, even through the White House and even...as he dies.

He silently begs him not to go, despite the fact that there's nothing he can do. The useless feeling makes a return, this time from the opposite direction.

Bain thanks his oldest friend for simply trying his best. He appreciated it while he was attempting to persuade him, it made him feel important.

Like he mattered.

——————

no thoughts, head empty.

reservoir dogs absolutely annihilated me.