chapter five • the less i know the better

Scarlet shivered slightly due to the accentuated breeze that blew through the open car window as they drove at an impeccable speed, feeling rather pleasantly accustomed to the way the sharp wind hit her warm skin. The blinding sun still licked her bare shoulders from where she sat in Rafe's car, providing that contrast to being just the right temperature.

It was peaceful hanging her limp hand out the window and allowing the wind to cut through her fingers, listening half heartedly to the music which plummeted at a bearable volume between them as the surroundings flashed by quicker than a heart beat.

"So you're telling me we've lived his close all along and never met? All that wasted time huh" Rafe tsked, just now realising the short distance in which they lived by each other.

Scarlet pulled her arm back into the vehicle and dropped it upon her lap, twisting to look at the dirty blonde with curiosity withered within her features. "And what do you imagine would of happened with all that time If we had met?"

"I don't know, we could be married right now in our own little home in the Bahamas" and he knew that was more than likely to never had happened, because for one Rafe had never really been in love or took interest in marrying hisself away to another woman- he solemnly didn't believe it but it was always fun toying with the female.

Scarlet let out a barking laugh, head tilting back and throat projecting the hefty volume of her laughter whilst Rafe looked towards her in a mix of bewilderment and disbelief. "Marriage already on your mind? I must be a real keeper mustn't I Mr Cameron"

Clicking his tongue on the roof of his mouth, Rafe smirked as he thought about what he was going to say next, refocusing his gaze on the road whilst slowly running his tongue along the inner section of his lower lip with smugness. "In my mind you are many things, things I must not share out loud"

"That's pretty bold enough of you to share" she responded instantly in attempt to smother the warmth that occurred in the pit of her stomach, that grew and expanded before making its way to melt upon her cheeks.

Well, that made two of them then.

But he wasn't embarrassed, if anything he'd love to sit there and go in to detail on the things he imagined inside his muddled up mind, just to witness her expression once those thoughts were out and exposed into the open. He loved drawing a reaction of some sort from the female, such like the crimson flush that decorated the apples of her cheeks like a natural blush right now- he capitalised off of that.

"I'm just making you aware princess"

His confidence was almost too attractive, the self awareness he was in possession of only enticed the brunette more; she often thought about him, well, there wasn't a single day that had passed when he hadn't remorsefully popped up in her mind and obnoxiously clouded her thoughts. It was dangerous how much trust and time she poured into him already, when they'd only seen each other a solid amount of three times- but it felt like forever, that's what scared Scarlet the most.

Clearing her throat as she couldn't trust her voice alone after his little lustful proposal, she turned so she now watched the passing houses in figure eight, deciding not to play on with his little game and instead dampen the mood with her personal opinions solemnly to throw him off guard.

"Well love is good for absolutely nothing, so is marriage. But it seems that being us and living in the society that we do, we wouldn't really have much choice wether or not we would want to be wedded. It's almost like a definite thing that needs to happen to keep the bloodline and legacy"

Like a jug of water saturating an open fire, doubting the flames and replacing the blaze with nothing more than a bleak, ash paste. Scarlet smiled with accomplishment, feeling the mood shift and Rafe's figure stiffened ever so slightly in his seat.