chapter ten • hurts so good

The boy lay on his balcony, blanket beneath him as his arms were tucked behind his head to prop himself up. From here he had the perfect view of the stars, something he glorified ever since he could possibly remember.

There had always been something so fascinating about them, the way they sparkled and hung so beautifully in the midnight blanket.

On this occasion he couldn't sleep, it had been a few hours since his bedtime had passed but there was nothing that fresh air and the night sky couldn't aid. He had specifically closed the door that sectioned off his bedroom to the balcony, not wanting to hear the murmur of screams from both his farther and mother's end.

They always did this, the boy doubted if they even knew how to speak to one another properly anymore- his parents were always arguing, it was only when the children were present did they hoax a civility between them.

But he was smart, always has been in fact, the none existent eye contact that was rarely traded between them when in the same room didn't slide past the little boy so easily. He knew they didn't love each other anymore, it was evident in the way they avoided being around one another at all costs. This past year the atmosphere in the house had shifted drastically, only the boy out of all the children noticing due to the two other's being far too young.

Just when he thought the shouting had stopped from the storeys below, footsteps began to echo through the walls, inferring one of them was making their way up towards the top floor that consisted of all the bedrooms.

A few bangs and heavy shuffles of feet was audible for around five continuous minutes and then the sounds disappeared. The young boy still keeping his eyes locked on the twilight to distract his mind, attempting to pick out the brightest star amongst them all.

His attention was caught when the balcony door opened and his mother was standing with tear crusted cheeks, fabricating a smile as she viewed her first born child. "Hi honey, why aren't you asleep? Aren't you tired yet?"

He shook his head, moving his eyes away from her silhouette and placing them back on the glitter up in the dusk. "You and dad don't stop arguing, that's what keeps me awake"

Movement could be heard, the sound of fabric rubbing together to inform his parent was moving closer towards his splayed out form. "I'm sorry baby" her warm touch brushed his hair backwards out of his eyes, planting a kiss against his forehead once her fingertips left the area. "I need to go somewhere"

"When will you be back?" The dirty blonde asked, looking up towards his mother with his innocent doe eyes.

"By time you count every star in the sky, I'll be home" she smiled, stroking his soft hair once again and leaving a final peck on the top of his head.

But the child didn't see the tears still over once her back was turned and was retreating from his room, the ache of her heart feeling like internal bleeding as she left her son laying clueless on his balcony and following the instructions she gave him.

And it took all night to count every single star that the boy could spot, he even did it twice to ensure he hadn't missed any out the first time. But his mother never returned home, no matter how many times he counted them. She never returned.

The stars were there to remind him every night, and he had hated them ever since.

"All I'm saying is there's absolutely nothing interesting about the stars, they're boring" Rafe defended his argument whilst sat with the brunette by his side, turning to look at her offended expression.