chapter twelve • can i call you tonight?

Love.

Not only is love parasitic, draining and insuppressible. But it's also fucking crazy too. Maybe it's so thrilling because the person whom is consumed by the love is crazier than the thing it's self, placing their insanity on the emotion to conceal their inner chaos.

And falling in love was even worse than accepting the fate of the fall, still caught up in the depth of the turmoil that was currently consuming you.

It makes you act out and become someone who you originally weren't, prying away any purity you had left and replacing it with lunacy. Everything in the world becomes a blur as all that matters is them, your person. What they're doing, how they're feeling or if they were truly hurt from the venomous words you relentlessly spat and how you can fix it.

Being young and dumb whilst also being a victim to love was even worse, making all the wrong decisions one could possibly choose and solemnly placing the blame on the irrepressible emotion.

Especially when you've never experienced the true and raw form of the concept before, a pure sense of love that is amazing yet absolutely terrifying.

Take the two currently seated in the passenger and drivers seat of the car for example, they had gone four days without a singular act of contact yet now acted as if those painfully exhausting days hadn't even happened. Lost amongst the past as they drove towards the future with the present as their saviour, grateful that the other had willingly accepted them back into their lives.

It was inevitable of course, since the moment they had met there had always been that sense of attachment battling against their will power in a fight against the odds. Every time they came back empty, in exception of the others presence.

Scarlet had the window rolled all the way down so her arm could extend past it's shield and hang out of the vehicle, enjoying the sensation of the wind that cut through her fingers. I'm symmetry to herself, Rafe effortlessly wrapped his left hand around the steering wheel and kept the other resting lightly against the brunettes bare thigh.

She was warm in contrast to his icy touch, feeling himself melt away slightly the longer he let his palm graze against the delicacy of her soft skin. Somewhere deep inside there was a voice screaming with distaste to his soppy actions, yet he rightfully ignored them and instead acknowledged the fuzzy feeling that occurred to his fingertips from the action.

A boyish grin overcame his features whilst he starred into the distance ahead, acknowledging the fact that he did indeed feel quite content in that specific moment. What he said was true, he had found something quite bizarre in the gardens of Tanneyhill and couldn't quite frankly wait to share it with the female besides him. Hopefully she would find interest in it though, otherwise that would be very very embarrassing.

Lifting the weight of his hand from her thigh, Rafe's fingers went to work on changing the station of music, flicking aimlessly through the variety of different songs until her firm grip on his wrist paused his efforts.

"Leave this one on, I love this song so much" and he knew better than to object, keeping his lips sealed whilst watching her smile broaden from the corner of his devious eyes.

Rafe was familiar with the melody that was plummeting through the atmosphere, attempting to come common with the song although it shortly appeared fruitless. "I don't think I remember the words" he spoke out, earning himself a exaggerated gasp from the direction of the brunette.

"Trust me, you will when it gets to the chorus" she leant over to twist the button and raise the volume, now feeling the bass vibrate louder through the speakers. "The music video to this is beautiful too"