IV

Chapter Four:
Past friends come back

"Mira?" Was the first thing out of the now concious Nezumi's mouth.

In truth he was confused, all he wanted to do was get back to his apartment and now he was kidnapped.

For the sixth time in his life, what a joke.

Quickly trying to get up he notices himself being held down.

Sneering at the two men he tried to get up.

"Fucking hell, Mira will you please help me?" The girl in front of him just kept quiet in shock, staring him down a confused expression on her face. Seeing he wouldn't get anything out of his old friend he huffed and sat back in the chair he was forced to.

There was a pout on the boys lips, thinking to himself he realized he probably had to fix his hair.

Groaning he threw his head back cursing.

"Hey now don't be too down!" Looking back up again he made eye contact with the homeless man he met his last game.

Tilting his head he looked the man up and down.

"All of us here have heard of your work all around Tokyo, all the cards you've collected." Shooing off the men holding down on Nezumi's shoulders he forces the boy to stand. The two of them walking a bit to the back of the room while the homeless looking man snapped his fingers.

Instantly two more people pulled back a wall of sorts, revealing a bunch of cards some with X's on them.

"Is this some type of cult?" Nezumi asked looking around the room. "I should probably let you know I've already been apart of one of those. It wasn't the best experience, I scammed them out of all of their money. They tried to kill me, fun times."

While in his head reminiscing he turned back to the card board looking at the cards. Then realizing he had several of the unmarked cards.

"No this is not a cult, this is my utopia! The Beach!" Slowly Nezumi turned towards him with a blank expression. "I'm the Hatter. And you are?"

The small boy shrugged.

"Nezumi Suzuki, but call me Dormouse."

Two loud gasps were heard from behind him, turning around he was met with the shocked face of Mira and cheerful one of an unknown person.

"Nezumi Suzuki? The prodigy at gambling games?" He nodded once and then was engulfed into a hug. "It's a pleasure to meet you! I've been a fan of you since forever! My name is-"

"I don't particularly care." The polite smile on his lips contradicted with his harsh words. "Now, Hatter, tell me what the fuck I'm doing here please."

The Hatter just chuckled putting his arm around Nezumi making the man tense up.

"You're very important, and very smart. I'd like you to be a member at the Beach!"

Glancing at Mira who was still staring at him he nodded slowly to Hatter's words.

"There are only two rules!" He backed up holding his arms out. "Rule one, you must wear a bathing suit at all times. Easier for you to be unable to carry any unnecessary firearms or artillery. Rule two, you are able to live here however you please. Drugs, alcohol, sex! You can have it all!"

Nezumi was currently looking at the man in confusion. Only two rules?

He had a feeling that would change soon.

"We checked your cards, with how many missing cards you've provided us you may be able to be promoted to an executive member."

Now he was catching up, there was conditions. There always was.

"So you're taking my cards?"

"Of course I'm taking your cards Dormouse! As a member of the beach you give up your cards to help us collect them all." Again Hatter wrapped his arm around the clearly uncomfortable boy. "Word goes round that if you collect all the cards you're granted out of the game."

"And you intend to be the one off the land."

There it was. The selfish motives. The catch this entire conversation was leading up to.

"No, the thing is, if we acquire enough cards everyone at the beach will be able to leave!" The deranged man walked away swiping up all of Nezumi's hard work and holding it out. "So what do you say, want to become a member?"

Sighing the dormouse glanced at Mira for the thousandth time, the girl was nodding her head ever so slightly.

Huffing through his nose Nezumi turned to Hatter.

"What else is here, member positions? Certain places to be avoided? Can I pick my own bathing suit?"

As he was questioning Hatter put his cards into one of his pockets nodding.

"Member positions don't really exist, however we are starting up a militant group. People to help protect the people here and keep the peace persay. And all places to be avoided will have locks on them." Hatter snapped his fingers again. "One of my girls will take you to go pick out a bathing suit."

Walking out of the room Nezumi passed Mira the two of them unable to keep their eyes off the other until he left completely.