Confessions Aren't Always Comfort

"You." Kokichi answered plainly.

"Tell me." Shuichi half-yelled, his voice tone obvious seriousness.

"I just did."

"I—" Shuichi gulped, "you—you what?"

"God Saihara-chan, are you that dense?" Kokichi laughed nervously. A tint of red shaded his cheeks briskly after, "I told you, don't make a promise you can't keep," he finished.

Shuichi walked slowly over to where Kokichi was sitting and knelt beside him. 

Kokichi was gasping for air, holding his throat. A full slightly developed flower dropped onto the floor. The petals sunshine yellow.

"I get it. I'll probably die any minute now. Nishini~" He giggled, "well, it was fun being with you, Sai—" Kokichi had quickly noticed he wasn't paying attention. 

"Saihara-chan?..." Kokichi whispered, waving his hand in front of Shuichi's profile. 

"Pardon?" Shuichi uttered, shaking his head before dropping his eyes to Kokichi's lips.

He laughed, "I love you." Kokichi murmured.

I love you

Kokichi coughed hard enough to tighten his chest. "Heh, yeah. Anytime now.."

"I love you too."

Kokichi felt a sudden heat on his body as Shuichi wrapped his arms around him. He felt his face burn hot and tears swell in his eyes. Teardrops skied down his face like kids on a winter day and he gripped Shuichi's shirt, hugging tightly back.

"Saihara-chan, I'm getting... blood on your shirt," Kokichi stuttered, reefing on Shuichi's fabric to pull back, but Shuichi didn't budge from his placement. 

"I'm going to die."

"Don't think about that." Shuichi replied, holding back tears.

Shuichi pulled back for a few, brief seconds before cupping Kokichi's face in his hands. He couldn't hold back his tears any longer and they poured down his face like an avalanche in the snow. There was a soft look on Shuichi's face. He lifted one of Kokichi's hands into his own before his eyes dropped down to Kokichi's lips again and back up to his eyes.

"May I—" Shuichi's sentence was broken off in a rush of leaning in and gripping fabric. The world became blurry and all background noise became distorted. A feeling of warmth rushed throughout his entire body and it felt as if fire was surrounding. A dizziness was formed in Shuichi's head but it seemed a more happy feeling.

Finally, Kokichi pulled back.

"I can... breathe but—" The end of his sentence broke off and Kokichi fell harshly to the floor. Shuichi quickly checked his pulse, it was still pumping thankfully. He had just passed out. 

"Kokichi?..." Shuichi exhaled, his grip still lingering on Kokichi's wrist.

No reply.

Silence permeated the air. Faint breathing broke it as it slowed, but didn't end. "Kokichi?" He repeated, his voice gentle.

Again, no reply.

Time,

is,

almost,

up.