ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ꜱɪx: ʟᴜᴄᴀꜱ

chapter six: lucas

april, 2022
new york

Lucas could feel his heart ready to burst out of his chest just as the bedroom door opened. 

Ophelia made a startled sound, obviously not expecting to be greeted with his face on the other side. She froze for a moment, staring wide eyed at her brother and wondering if something had happened. 

Though she quickly pulled herself out of the reverie and opened the door wider, motioning her brother in, who quietly walked in without a word.

Lucas could feel the tension in the air ready to melt the skin off of his bones, but he didn't ponder over it, nor did he let Ophelia's constant fiddling bother him.

He was here to apologise.

He knew he didn't deserve to be forgiven, but Cleo's words hadn't stop ringing in his mind, and he knew he had to do the right thing.

He took a deep breath and turned around, his hands jammed in his hoodie as he faced his sister. 

"I..." But the words couldn't escape his mouth.

He looked away when his eyes burnt with tears and closed them. Only when he heard a sniffle did he open his eyes to realise that his sister was crying.

Endless tears dripping down her face and her sitting on the ground, her legs unable to hold her anymore. Lucas felt a block in his throat as he knelt down beside her, trying to think of ways to comfort her.

"You can't even look at me anymore," she managed to sob out. Lucas' heart continued to break as each word left her mouth, as if she were a malfunctioning machine unable to stop.

"I didn't think we would come to this Lucas. What is it going to take for you to forgive me? I know what I did was wrong. I have every right to your hatred for me, but please. Please don't stop talking to me, Lucas." 

Ophelia cried into her hands, her heart and soul heavy with pain and loneliness. "I feel so alone in this big house. Please don't do this to me Lucas. I cannot go on like this. I-"

"Shut up," he said as he pulled her hands away so he could see her face. Her eyes and face was red like cherry, and Lucas wondered how could he have ever blamed such an innocent soul for something so tragic. 

"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry, Lia. I don't blame you. What happened, it wasn't your fault," he said. Ophelia sniffled, looking at him as she waited patiently for his explanation.

"I was so angry when they didn't catch the person responsible for... I wanted to hurt him, the driver, the real person to blame and because I couldn't hurt him I misplaced my anger. On you. And it was a horrible thing to of me as your brother and a human, and I have never been more ashamed of myself before. Please forgive me, Lia."

Ophelia stayed quiet. She didn't utter a word, for this was unexpected. An apology was unexpected. When she didn't say anything, Lucas said, "I know I don't deserve to be forgiven. I promise I will spend the rest of my life making it upto you if you give me a chance."

Tears resurfaced in Ophelia's eyes, and Lucas panicked, thinking that he had probably said something wrong. 

"I forgive you Lucas. And you don't have to spend the rest of your life making it upto me. Just... Please. Please don't leave me alone again. I don't think I will be able to handle it very well the next time."

Lucas' heart broke just as Ophelia's voice broke. He felt so ashamed of himself for doing exactly the thing he had promised Diana he wouldn't do. 

He hugged Ophelia tightly, resting his chin on the top of her head. "I promise I will never leave you again. Ever. If I do, you have the permission to slap me across the face," he said, and smiles when he hears a little laugh escape Ophelia's lips.

"I'm also sorry about what happened with Tony," he said quietly. Ophelia pulled away, fresh tears still visible in her eyes. 

She looked down at the ground, her face dimming at the mention. She rubbed away her tears, and didn't look up as her body rested against Lucas, who held her again, just like as he had five months ago, and just like as he had when they were children.

He knew it was just the beginning. 

-
i cried so hard while writing this.

let me know what you think :)