Prologue

June 2017
---Abby's POV---
"You would never listen to me," Tyler read. "Even though I was your partner. The thing you must add to your automaton to bring her to life is a real, beating human heart, freshly pulled from a living person."

"Maybe," My friend, Joey stated. "There's another heart we could use." Suddenly, Jet Pack girl was dragged in by two Prometheans. Jet Pack girl screamed for help.

"Jet Pack girl!" My best friend, Andrea, cried.

"No!" I shouted. "No! No! No! Don't hurt her!" My boyfriend, Alex, placed himself in front of me.

"Let her go." Tyler pleaded. Cedric walked into the room. His eyes pointed daggers at us.

"We're here to help you." Joey stated. Cedric looked at Joey. I grabbed onto Alex's arm.

"She just needs a beating heart." Cedric stated. "It's what I was afraid to do before. But no longer. One of you will give up your heart so that she could live. Or all of you will die. Select two from among you to do battle with my Promethean." I turned to my friends.

"All right everyone," Alison stated. "I think we know how this goes."

"Ugh," Joey groaned. "I hate this part. I hate this part."

"Wait," I suggested. "What if we all put our names in? She just picks two."

"I like that idea." Tyler stated.

"Let's do it." Joey stated. Joey walked up, pulled his card, and hands it to Alison. Andrea goes up, does the same. I follow suit, so does Alex and Tyler.

"Oh boy." I mumbled.

"My heart is racing." Joey stated. "I mean, actually, my heart is really slow and it's not a good heart to have." I held onto Alex's hand tightly. Alison pulls the first card.

"Alex." Alison stated. I looked at Alex.

"No," I stated. "No, anyone but you." Alex looked at me.

"I'll be okay." Alex reassured me.

"You can do this," Andrea stated. "You're the strongest one out of all of us." Alex looks at Alison.

"Who is my opponent?" Alex asked. Alison pulled the second card and looked at Alex, then Andrea, then Joey, then Tyler, then me.

"Abby." Alison stated. I bit my lip and looked at Alex. I can tell by his face that he didn't want this to happen either.

"Why?" Alex questioned. "Why, of all people, did it have to be Abby?"

"Okay." I stated.

"It's up to you guys." Tyler stated. I walked over to Andrea and hugged her.

"Get out of here for me," I asked. "Would you?" Andrea nodded.

"I will." Andrea stated. I hugged Tyler next.

"Goodbye Tyler." I stated.

"It was nice knowing you, Abby." Tyler stated. I hugged Joey.

"I'll miss you Abby." Joey whimpered.

"I'll miss you too." I stated. "Please tell Rosanna I'm sorry." My sister, Rosanna Pansino, was probably waiting for me at home. I just wish I could just see her one last time.

"I will." Joey stated. I take Alex's hand, knowing it will be the last time I hold it.

"Let's go." I stated. Alex and I followed Jet Pack Girl and the Prometheans out to this room with a machine. I gulped. Somebody's heart is quite literally going to be ripped from their chest. I survived the challenge once before. I can do it again..... However, I didn't want Alex to die. Alex grabbed the note.