The Idol Who Wields Two Swords

Jaymes, present day, ALO

“So, Jaymes, Rain, now that the quest is finished, are either of you going to tell us how you two really met?”

Now flying towards the castle above Alfheim, Jaymes looks back to Rain, who seems somewhat embarrassed by Philia’s question. But she has the right to be curious; until today, Jaymes and Philia thought they met Rain at the same time when the two were on a quest together. When Rain revealed it happened on the third floor, Jaymes had to search his memory for the moment because Kirito and Asuna never met Rain (or Philia and Strea) in SAO, and Koharu only met her once later on.

“Well, Rain, you did bring it up. I had forgotten myself.”

“I know.”

“Well, while we’re on our way to Asuna and Kirito’s place, I share this with you, Philia. You too, Strea.” Strea, in pixie form, cheers as she rides in Jaymes’ hair. “Well, Rain, correct me on details I mess up, but if I remember correctly, it was while I was separated from Koharu, Kirito, and Asuna in the third floor’s human town…”

xxxxxxxxx

SAO, four years ago

After making sure Koharu was comfortable in the inn, Jaymes excused himself to do some exploring and to meet up with Kirito and Asuna should they leave their space as well. By no means was he trying to pass on his partner to others, but after being in a party for more than a week now, he just wanted some time to himself.

His exploration of Zumfut passed an hour or two alone, and eventually, his feet took him outside of town with no particular quest or destination in mind. He didn’t plan on venturing too far from safety, so after a few minutes of watching players come and go from the long, wooden tunnel that made Zumfut’s entrance, he was set to return when he ran into her.

When Kayaba spoke to the players about forty days prior, he gave them one gift: their actual physical appearances, scanned by the NerveGear during initial calibration. It was done to invoke more of the truth of their reality, that they were imprisoned here until they cleared the castle. Created avatars were cast aside, and it shocked everyone present at the Town of Beginnings, even Jaymes, who can say his avatar’s most significant change was that he’s a bit shorter.

But this girl who strolled out of the third-floor town was different, and he wasn’t the only one to notice. For forty days, he hasn’t come across a single person with that shade of red in their hair. It’s not naturally red like he assumes Klein’s hair is. Then again, both Diavel and Lind have blue hair, so its’ not out there for hair color-changing items to be out there...but it still is interesting to see.

But what surprised him more was that the girl noticed him too and came over. “Hello! Are you busy or anything?”

“Um...no. No, I’m not doing anything right now.”

“Then… Then can you help me with some quests from the town? I… I’ll do whatever I can to pay you back! Please!” She looks up at him, her bright brown eyes pleading like a puppy for treats. If he was an older, more mature guy, he might not have fallen for such cheap tricks, but he is only fifteen, and there’s only so much the mind of a fifteen-year-old boy can handle.

In the other world, girls would surround him just because of his family’s money. Only one girl didn’t, and up until three years ago, she was his best friend until she moved away. And until he met Koharu and Asuna, for the most part, he ignored the attention girls gave him, but that doesn’t mean he wasn’t susceptible to the other sex’s whims. If anything, being with Koharu at all times lowered that wall.