56: The Fight

Lucie sat waiting for Seb's car to come through the gates and onto their drive. She winced as another twinge went through her back. She couldn't wait for this to all be over.

It would be six weeks the following day since they had moved into their new family home, and it was fifteen days until their baby was due. Lucie felt ready to explode. There really wasn't a lot of room left in there for the baby to grow any more!

She looked out of the window again. Seb was due back from Miami this morning, and she couldn't wait to see him.

She was still struggling every time he went away. Miami had been the fourth time he'd had to leave her to race, following the first three week trip, he'd been to Australia, China and now the U.S.

He'd finished third in Australia, fifth in China and had just won the inaugural Miami Grand Prix. He was leading the driver's championship from Lando Norris.

At least the coming races would be in Europe. He'd have to spend less time away and would be able to travel back if she went into labour.

She grinned as she saw the security gates open and Seb's DBX appear. He was home!

She waddled to the front door and opened it. Seb stopped the car outside the door and quickly jumped out. He left his luggage in the car and headed straight for Lucie. They fell into each other's arms, just holding each other tight.

Finally they broke apart. "Hey baby, miss me?" he said.

"Always." He pressed a tender kiss to her lips.

"And how's this one?" he asked placing his hand on her belly.

"Oh you know, likes playing football with my ribs, loves keeping me up all night."

"Won't be long sweetheart."

"The sooner the better. My back's killing me today. I can't see my feet anymore. My boobs are leaking. I spend more time in the bath than anywhere else. And I look like an elephant."

Seb pulled her into another hug. "Darling you don't look like an elephant. You look beautiful. And you're carrying our baby. That's something amazing. And I love you!"

"I love you too. I've just had enough," she said, tears falling. "I'm just feeling extra emotional today."

"Come on, let's go inside and I'll make you a nice cup of tea. You put your feet up and relax."

They headed indoors. Lucie sank onto the luxurious brown sofa. It was one of her favourite items in the new house, followed closely by the sunken bath. She'd spent so much time in that bath the last few weeks. She'd even taken to having baths in the middle of the night because it was the only place she could get comfortable.

Seb grabbed her ankles and swung her feet up on the sofa. "Is there anything else you'd like while I'm out there?"

"I am a bit peckish, but you've just flown home. You must be tired."

"Baby, I'm fine. Honestly. Do you want some toast or something else?"

"Some toast would be great thanks." Several minutes later Seb returned with a cup of tea and a plate with two slices of toast, cut in triangles just how she liked it. She thanked him. He dropped down onto the armchair next to the sofa.

Lucie ate her toast and drank her tea. She then decided she was going to have another bath. She just felt so uncomfortable. Seb said he was going to have a nap on the chair whilst she had her bath. Tiredness was kicking in.

She went upstairs and ran the bath. Sliding into the water, she sighed with relief. She played some music through her phone as she lay relaxing.

Forty minutes later she managed to heave herself out of the bath, wincing again with her back.  She dried herself and put her bathrobe on.