Chapter 6: Twisted Fate

The moment we heard the slap, both Mark and I had a reaction like we never had before. Mark looked up to me first, his eyes full of shock. There was no sign of oblivion on his face, therefore what I was seeing was fcking real. While I on the other hand, had to cover my mouth for whispering a swear word. Shit. After exchanging looks, we both turned to their direction quickly and our eyes were full of curiosity. I was still stunned to the sight before me. The guy's eyes were filled with despise, a deep reflection of disappointment and...betrayal? A minute ago they were still doing fine, like there was nothing wrong and all of a sudden he turned into a beast.

"Tto wae geurae? Museuniriya jigeum? Ige taeg-i na shireo! Neo ara!" The guy harshly said, half whispering though his tone was obviously rude.

Mark and I locked eyes once again. He just spoke in Korean. I thought they were Chinese? I bet Mark's thinking the same thing as I am. The guy said something like "Why are you being like this again? What are you up to now? I don't like this tag and you know that." And of course I didn't catch what tag they were talking about and why the guy suddenly bursted like that. I put down my spoon as soon as I heard the girl sniff. She wasn't sobbing yet I can feel that she's just holding it back in. I can see her left hand touching her left cheek from the back. That slap was no joke. I was enraged. Aside from it was very inappropriate to act that way in a public place, it was very disrespectful for the guy to slap her too. I could feel my blood boiling inside and Mark must have noticed it because he reached for my hand that was already making a fist. I only wore a serious face, yet I was firing daggers of stares to the guy and he must have felt eyes on him coz he soon gazed back at me for a brief two seconds then looked away.

"This is bullsht." He cussed under his breath while taking away the papers and made his way to the door, leaving the girl alone still weeping silently.

The look on the guy's face showed a bitter disgust. Actually, he didn't seem really nice to me the moment I bumped into him. His aura was hard to digest. And after what he did, I realized how annoying his face was. He actually looked like a lizard to me. A giant lizard. With an enourmous forehead that you'd like to hit with a ton-weighing hammer. Seriously. And his smile was like the green Grinch from the children's story, How The Grinch Stole Christmas. Like a maniac!

"Hey, chill." Mark poked me with his fork to get me back to my senses.

Was my anger too obvious?

"Yes, you looked like you were desperately murdering someone on your head." Said the gorgeous cool guy before me, as if reading my mind.

I wanted to scowl at him, but I only kept my cool and was about to dig in when I noticed the girl calmly rummaging her bag in between sniffs. Her nose was probably having a race. I don't know what got into me after getting something from my bag, but I stood up and carefully walked towards the girl. Upon reaching near her, I then placed my pink handkerchief beside her plate. I was only standing behind her and I did that on purpose, not wanting to make her feel awkward or feel bad that someone actually saw the whole dramatic scene. When I turned around and was walking back to our table, I saw Mark staring at me then quickly shifted his gaze to the girl behind me with a "go ahead" look on his face and gesture. She must have found it weird and confusing for a stranger to suddenly just leave a hanky but Mark held a reassuring look that it was okay. I then heard her utter 'thank you' under her breath which caused me turning back to her direction. But she got her back facing me once again on cue. She stood up right after that and headed to the counter to maybe cancel their orders and handed in some cash. Soon, I then felt a vague sense of letdown when she left.

"You seem pretty affected." Mark gently said as soon as I got back to my seat.

"Hmmm. I just don't like-- no, scratch that. I just find it incredibly awful when I guy raises a hand to a girl. Like what the hell, even if he's mad, is it even necessary to get physical? And damn on a crowd like this?" I sighed in frustration. I got too carried away and I just noticed that. What's gotten into me?