Chapter 9: Departure

The chills of the night sent stinging sensations to my bare skin down my legs. I love wearing shorts but this time I curse it. Not because of the cold air passing by but because of how visible my legs are shaking right now. I couldn't even bare to look at the girl next to me who's now tapping my shoulders to get me back to reality.

"S-sorry. I was just reminded of m-my.." I snapped back but she cut me off.

"Mark. Right? Yeah, he's waiting for you for sure. It's quite late. You should be heading home by now. Oh by the way, do you even know the way?" She sincerely said. I still can't look straight at her but I managed to make a few glances while she's talking.

"No.. Not Mark. But.. Yeah, I think I need to go now." I heaved a sigh, not knowing how to say it.

"And yes I know the way. I researched it beforehand but I'll just take the cab since the turn of events didn't quite go well." I felt bad saying that to her. It wasn't her fault that she was in danger. It wasn't her fault that I didn't get to spend time wandering. What I really felt bad about was the way I have acted right after I knew her name. I'm aware that she noticed because she was feeling uneasy as well. But she still supported me and she seemed to have worried. Now I just heard her sigh. And I'm feeling really baaaad.

"Sorry about that Jaeni. I didn't know I'd drag you to this." She said half whispering to her side, but I was able to catch it. I moved closer to her and to my surprise, I mindlessly closed the distance between us. I latched my arms around her and hugged her gently as I tapped her back as well, saying that it's alright and that it's not her fault. A rush of mixed emotions dawned on me as she hugged me back. I have never, NEVER felt this before.

You know that feeling of nostalgia, but it actually hasn't happened yet before? Weird. Nostalgic but not really nostalgic at all. Weird.

My conscience level suddenly escalated to level 99 when I felt hot tears flowing down my bare skin. She burried her head to my chest and gave out light sniffs. I wanted to pull away to see if she's okay. Why would she be crying?

"Gomaweo, Jaeni." That was a short, simple phrase but to me, it was the sweetest, sincerest thank you I have ever heard before. And it came from such delicate and sweet girl. I pulled away from the hug and this time, I got to finally look straight into her eyes.

"It's alright, it's alright now Jessica. And, you are very welcome." I reassured her and gave her the warmest smile I could muster.

"Sorry for the little drama." She chuckled as she wiped away her tears.

"One more sorry from you and I'll kiss you." Shoot! Wait, whaaat?

Erase erase erase! How stupid of me to say that. Damn Jaeni!

"Uhh I-I m-mean.." Gahd. What do I say, quiiick!

"Silly. Fine, I'll stop apologizing so I won't have any kisses from you." She laughed as she playfully hit my arm after crinkling her nose. That was sooo cute by the way.

"Or I might just continue saying sorry, aye? If it makes you feel any better." She teased. And that smirk of hers, damn. I just can't.

"Stop it you. I was just teasing!" I stuck my tongue out and looked away. Gosh I'm blushing. No.

Truth is, I actually don't know where that came from. It just slipped from my mouth. But I couldn't tell her that of course. What would she think?

"Time to go now Miss. Where are you heading off again?" She nonchalantly said.

"Oh. To some hotel sponsored by the event's organizer. Valkyrie Suites. How 'bout you?"

"No asking. C'mon I'll give you a lift." With that, she grabbed my hand and intertwined it with hers. I was left speechless. Jessica has turned me into a mute not until we reached her car.

"Hey.. Jessica. What's going on? Why are you driving me back to the hotel? Don't you need to go home yourself?" I finally broke the silence and asked her. I am not totally comfortable being this close, or having such contact and conversation to a stranger. True, I might have this certain affinity towards her. She makes me feel warm, and fuzzy.. And even cared for. But all at the same time, she makes me feel uneasy and restless. I don't allow her to see that but I am really trembling inside.

"You know, sometimes, a little trust won't hurt." The girl on the driver's seat flatly said.

Dang. Did I get her mad?

"S-sorry. I was just thinking about you. You've done enough for me tonight." I said, my head leaning on the car's window. I was trailing off when I heard her chuckle.

"That's supposed to be my line, I guess."

The rest of the ride was all left to the radio playing on the background. I didn't know what to say, and so did she. It wasn't an awkward silence though. For the first time since I met her, I felt at ease, knowing that she's just a few inches away from me. And why would I be bothered that much when I'm around her? That, I still don't know.

The car suddenly pulled to a stop when I saw the familiar grand facade of the hotel. This time I took notice of it being well lit with different kinds of chandeliers and vintage post lamps. It had a very welcoming feeling.

"We're here. I hope the ride didn't bore you." Jessica said with a faint smile on her pretty face.

"Nope, not at all. I got to enjoy by just looking at the streets, and the silence filling up the air.."

She supressed a chuckle and that hinted me something. Shoot.

"N-not like I don't like talking to you. It's just that..the silence was too relaxing and I-"

And it happened. She cut me off with a kiss on my left cheek. That got me frozen and speechless. It was just a quick peck but it felt like it's going to take years to recover from what she did.

"You talk too much Jaeni." She snickered as she ran her fingers through her  beautiful hair. Is it even necessary to do that now?

"See, you're stunned. Great. Now, I know how to make you stop blabbering. Question is, will I ever see you again?"

That last sentence of hers became so hard to digest. I should be reacting over what she said before that but now that it already dawned to me that we might not see each other again, and I'm starting to panic inside.

But why?

"Well, I hope so." I said, looking away again. That was all I could muster  to do and say.

"Thank you for today, Jaeni. I had a lot of fun." She said, emphasizing that very word.

"We shouldn't let that incident happen again, coz that would be no fun." I gave her a smile while I look straight to her eyes. We kind of had a mini conversation there. A conversation where only us would understand.

"Time to go now. I'll see you around. If fate permits. Bye, Jaeni." She said, with her eyes glistening and melting my insides. I would never want to hear the word goodbye, again. But I guess, it can't be helped.

"Yeah, it was nice knowing you, Jessica. Be safe on your way home."

A saw her smile for the last time before she turned her back and unlocked her rover. She drifted off the road and I was left there standing, thinking what the hell just happened. Little did I know that fate is playing a trick on me. I must, get ready.