David and Goliath

No story in the Bible is more important to me than the story of David and Goliath. As a child, I would go to church with my parents and be forced to sit and listen to adults read the scriptures and give sermons that I could hardly focus on. I would take the Bible from the pew and read my favorite Old Testament passages: Moses calling down plagues on Egypt, Jonah and the whale, and most of all the story of a young King David. I would put myself in his shoes (or sandals) and think that I, too, could do anything if I believed it. If he, a young boy with the same name as me, can kill lions, bears, and Goliath, surely, I can do great things.
More important than the result of this battle to me is that David volunteered. He had no doubt what the outcome would be. His faith was so strong that he seemed to view the battle that nobody else wanted to fight was almost a foregone conclusion. It was not always easy for me to empathize with other characters in the Bible, but David was so human to me in many ways, but his confidence and faith in God never seemed to waver. His faith leads him to glory in his lifetime and his family to more glory than he could ever imagine. If he can do it, so can we!