Chapter 31.1

Gabriël wasted no time in letting everyone in the Vale know Samael had betrayed them. He warned them not to engage the Angel of Death alone. The last thing he wanted was for that bastard to take another angel away — or worse.
Margaret was nowhere to be found. Either Samael took her to the same place Michael was, or he took her to the one who had planned it all. If that were the case, there was little chance of getting Margaret back. Lucifer wouldn't let his wife go a second time. Still, Gabriël refused to give up on her. Nor on Michael and Joan. He asked Metatron to bring him everything the Archives held on the Dream Realm. If there was a way to get in without Morpheus knowing about it, he would find it.

"Raphael, I demand you unhand me at once!"

"You are in no position to demand anything, Uriël! Now get in here!"

Gabriël looked up from the paper-littered table in the war room at the sudden sound of footsteps and arguing voices within the Villa. He hurried into the parlour to find Raphael practically dragging Uriël along by the scruff of his neck.

"Rafe, what are you doing?" he demanded

"I heard him talking to God," said Raphael. "You'll want to hear what he has to say. It seems like he wasn't entirely honest with us before."

"Uriël, what's he talking about?" Gabriël looked at the Seer's blindfolded face.

"It's nothing," Uriël waved dismissively. "Raphael, please let go."

"Tell him everything, Uriël. Right now!" insisted the physician.

"This will only bring sorrow. Why can you not see that?"

"Tell him!"

Uriël sighed. Reluctantly, he spoke, "Child of Light succumbed to darkness, the power of Death he shall hold. By the grace of the Fallen One, the strayed son shall be freed."

Gabriël arched his brow. He looked from Uriël to Raphael, and then again to Uriël.

"Is this...? Are these the words to another rune?"

But the blindfolded Archangel remained silent and turned his head away. Gabriël pondered the words.

Child of Light... the power of Death... Child of Light... That couldn't possibly mean... No, wait, what was it Samael said? God himself saved him from the poison Michael used on his... mother. 

"He's his son," whispered Gabriël.

"What? Whose son?" Raphael tilted his head in confusion.

"Lucifer's son! He's... he is Death! As in Angel of!"

"Wait, you're not saying that... Samael?" Raphael's eyes widened. "No, that's impossible!"

"Is it? Think about it, Rafe. Samael appeared after Lucifer fell, after his marriage to Marina. Then Azrael disappeared, and he took her place as the Angel of Death. The Child of Light, of Heaven's Light, of LightBringer, wielding the power of Death."

Raphael rounded on Uriël, "You knew about this?"

"I was asked not to say anything."

"Asked not to — for God's sake, we are at war, Uriël!"

"I am aware of that, Raphael. There is no need to shout."

"Then why?"

Uriël sighed and sat down on one of the Roman beds. The two other Archangels remained on their feet, waiting for Uriël to speak.

"Samael was supposed to have been the first of a new breed of angels. A Nephilim, as Father had truly intended them to be; hybrids possessing all our abilities and strengths, including immortality, yet with that extraordinary compassion and, for lack of a better term, humanity that only the children of Earth are capable of. It would have made it even more difficult for the darkness to gain more souls, but it was not to be."