Chapter 14.2

Night had fallen by the time Raphael arrived at Peter's hut. He expected the old man would be returning from the Gates soon and hoped he wouldn't mind some company. The former apostle remained isolated from the Vale and had never been reunited with his friends after their deaths. Michael had deemed it a conflict of interest.
As he waited for Peter, Raphael felt his anger rise at the thought of the Lord Protector, and he didn't like the feeling one bit. Would there be any way to come back from his betrayal? He feared Michael would never take responsibility if he stuck to his own version of the facts. It grieved him.

"You look weary, old friend." Raphael's head jerked up at Peter's voice. The latter walked up to him and offered a sad smile. "You'll get wrinkles if you worry too much. Just look at me."

"How can I not worry after everything that's happened today?" replied Raphael wearily.

"Yes, I find both my mind and heart weighing heavy as well. I was actually hoping to speak with you. What are your thoughts on Michael's announcement?"

"His what?"

"I'm surprised you haven't seen it. It was sent to everyone's home, even mine."

Peter entered the hut, with Raphael close behind him. He handed the physician a document, which Raphael read aloud.

"'Until further notice, the Archangel Gabriël shall stay in the Lord Protector's Villa for safety reasons. There, he will receive further treatment for his poisoning from the Archangel Raphael. None other shall be allowed to see him. The angel Joan of Arc has fallen. She has lost her wings because of insubordination and intentionally placing others in danger. This is a crime which cannot be tolerated in the Vale.' Good Lord, he's almost comparing the poor girl to those wretches in the Circles. I should have known he would cover things up. And now I also understand why none of the other Archangels have come to me. His explanation of our rune is the only truth in here."

"What do you mean? What explanation?"

Raphael put the document on the table and pointed to a blank spot at the bottom.

"Either I am going blind, or you see things which aren't there," said Peter, his nose and forehead scrunched in confusion.

"Oh Heavens, I forgot. It's written in golden ink, so only Archangels can read it. Michael uses it occasionally for important messages. I'm not even supposed to be telling you this."

"Who would I tell?" Peter grinned.

"You must be tired of being everyone's personal shrink?"

"In life, many came to me for advice and wisdom. I believe it is only natural that I should continue to be that supporting pillar in death. May I ask what Michael wrote for you?"

Raphael took the document back and read it aloud, "'Raphael and I,' oh, the nerve of the man, including me in this! 'Raphael and I were forced to use Heaven's Fire to cleanse Gabriël of the demon that haunted him. Many of you believe this to be barbaric, I know, yet the darkness in our friend was growing too strong. It had to be done. I ask your understanding and assure you I shall do whatever I can to ensure Gabriël is not lost to us'."

The physician sat down at the table next to Peter. A cup of water appeared in his hand. He looked at it, and the liquid inside grew dark. He needed something stronger than water.

"I never understood why it can only be wine; it grows so tedious after a few times," observed Peter. "Raphael... do you believe he can still be saved?"

"I don't know." Raphael gave a sigh, knowing who the Keeper was referring to. "I truly hope so. But we both saw his rune fading, didn't we? That only means one thing; Gabriël has broken his vow."