Sunset (#skill)

"She's just a point-and-shoot superhero." I hear that all the time.

So many people don't think it takes any skill to do what I do. Sure I'm Solar Flare. I can harness the power of the sun. That doesn't make it easy. In fact, it makes it harder.

First off, I need to make sure that I don't shut off electronics around me. My body emits magnetized solar particles which could disrupt computers, radio and all those 'internet of things' devices that are everywhere.

Not to mention how dangerous my powers are. I lose my temper and solar flares shoot everywhere killing my teammates. When I'm fighting, I need to make sure I don't give my opponents first degree burns or worse while using enough force to bring them to justice.

On one of my first outings, there was a low level villain who called himself Con Man. I had a clear shot but I didn't want to burn him to a crisp. I let him go and the next month, his con-puter disrupted the entire stock market. Who was blamed for that? Yep, yours truly.

I get crap from other heroes too. Robyn Hood has been really vocal on all the hours of archery training she has to put in while all I have to do is sunbathe. Really, bitch? If you didn't have such a lame 'power' in the first place, you wouldn't have to build yourself up by putting other people down. Her bowstring snapped when the Flayer was trying to take over the world. Did anyone put her down? No. Everyone thought she was really brave for just standing there doing nothing.

I'm only 30 but I think I'm getting too old for this. I don't want to end up one of those cranky heroes complaining about how stylish our capes were back in the day and how these young kids are more concerned with taking selfies than fighting crime. I started the hero gig to make a difference and I'm afraid I'm getting jaded. It's time to hang it up.

Luminous Lass has already asked if she can wear my costume and be Solar Flare 2. The kid's got heart and, unlike most people these days, she idolizes me. I can't think of a better person to carry on my legacy. Besides, Luminous Lass? She really needs a better name.

I'm not sure what I'm gonna do for the rest of my retirement but, like my superhero career, I'm going to look at it as an adventure. An exciting new time where I can discover my possibilities and explore the world.

That is, if supervillains don't destroy it because I'm not there to save it. Oh well. Not my problem anymore. Unless the world ends and I die, of course.

I really hope that doesn't happen.