A Birthday Surprise (Epilogue)

Tonz invited her for brunch, they went to Wildflour and after which, he dropped her off at Promenade. She introduced Tonz to her cousins, who were secretly nudging each other. After the exchange of pleasantries, Tonz bid them goodbye. She was surprised that they put an eye mask on her.

"Ate, what's this?"

"Just go along with it Jacinda. You'll be in for a surprise!" squealed her ate Carrie.

They know she hates grand gestures and surprises, she just want to have an intimate dinner with the family for her birthday, but lo and behold, her mother planned a surprise party. She was ushered to a dressing room, the glam team was already there, waiting for her arrival. Her PA is also there, together with a stylist. What is happening?

Her mother entered the room, she looked elegant in a simple champagne colored dress. She hugged her, "Feliz Cumpleanos mi hija. I hope you'll enjoy your celebration."

"You shouldn't have bothered mama, I just want the day spent with you."

"A lady's 18th birthday is a special event darling. Let your papa and I spoil you today. I'll see you in a bit."

After she was all glammed up, her cousin's put back the eye mask. She was seated in a velvet chair. She could hear whispers and chattering. They take off the mask, and she was shocked to see herself seating infront of a stage. Her ate Sassy was there, together with ate Carrie.

"Good evening ladies and gentlemen, we welcome you all to our dearest Jacinda's 18th birthday celebration." Ate Carrie said.

"As we've all known, our Jacinda grew up in the theater, and there's no better tribute to her 18 years of existence but a musical." Ate Sassy said.

"So we bring you, My So-called Life, and original production by 4CA2 and the Ortega-Martinez clan, with the special participation of Evermore Theater Inc., written and directed by Richmond Flores, with songs and numbers from Jacinda's favorite musicals. "

Jacinda was overwhelmed, the first act started with her as a young girl playing in a theater, she was portrayed by a young actress from her former theater group. The little girl sang "Tomorrow" wonderfully. It also showed her mother (portrayed by a former co-actor) singing "Memory" as a lullaby.

Act II was all about the beginning of her career in theater, her first production in the King and I, Matilda, and her first starring role in Annie.

Act III is about her rise to fame with productions such as Mama Mia (Dancing Queen performed by the hermanas and other cousins), Hamilton (The Story of Tonight performed by her dad and uncles), and The Little Mermaid (Under the Sea performed by her former theater group).

Act IV is about her college life, Rent (Seasons of Love) and Hairspray (The Nicest Kids in Town), both performed by her block mates. She was surprised when Tonz came into the stage and he started to sing one of her favorite songs from Wicked.

"Kiss me too fiercely
Hold me too tight
I need help believing
You're with me tonight
My wildest dreamings
Could not foresee
Lying beside you
With you wanting me

And just for this moment
As long as you're mine
I've lost all resistance
And crossed some border line
And if it turns out
It's over too fast
I'll make every last moment last
As long as you're mine... "

He lead her up the stage and they sang the duet. She was crying, because the song really captures what they feel. They looked at each other's eyes and held hands. Everyone was gushing about how good a pair they are.

The musical was ended by her mother, with the song "Don't Rain on My Parade" from Funny Girl.

Everyone enjoyed the night, Jacinda felt glad, she was able to watch a musical without her anxiety bothering her. She enjoyed the show, Richie definitely captured her story, and she could finally say that she's missing the theater, but she's now looking forward for TV and film. It's as if she already closed that chapter in her life. And with Tonz Gamboa by her side, she's definitely ready for a fresh start.

*As Long As You're Mine from Wicked by Idina Menzel and Norbert Leo Butz
(No copyright infringement)