II

"Oh goodness! how have you been Roslyn?" Gran asked excitedly. "Pretty good Gran, thanks for asking." apparently I wasn't as convincing as I thought I was because Gran responded with "oh dear, whats wrong?"
"Nothing really, I just haven't been sleeping well" I gave her a sad smile. I could tell Gran didn't believe me because I could feel the doubts in her thoughts. But she decided to drop the subject because she knew I didn't want to talk about it.
"Well then let's get some food in you. Sookie isn't up yet so you get first picks!"

~

"Good morning Jason! How is my boy?" Gran asked happily. Jason stole a fist full of bacon off of Sookie's plate and shoved it in his mouth "Great Gran, now that I get you're delicious cooking" I could barely understand what he said because his mouth was so disgustingly full, but Gran just smiled at the golden boy.

I started to zone out while I was picking at my fruit cup, and I slipped into Sookie's mind. I saw Jason interrogate her about her fight with the Rattrays, in the front yard before Gran got them to come inside to eat. Sookie's thoughts continued to reflect on last night. She wondered how the chain she threw at Mack Rattray seemed to magically wrap around his neck, and choke him.

Sookie may not have know how that happened, but I did and it made my stomach churn. I tried to push away my anxiety and started to listen to the discussion going on around me.

"You don't want to go messing around with vampires they are nothing but trouble believe me" Jason said, his distaste for them clear in his tone.
"Do you even know anything about vampires?" Sookie questioned with a small laugh.
"I know more than I care to" he responded.
"Like what?" I asked, they seemed surprised that I finally joined the conversation.
Jason sighed "everyone knows that they drain fangbangers and are disposing of the bodies."

"What is a fangbanger?" Gran asked with an almost childlike innocence, her southern accent really coming through.
"They're like vampire groupies Gran" I responded thoughtfully.
She still looked confused, so Sookie stepped in "Men and women that like to get bitten" Sookie whispered. Gran nodded in understanding.

"I heard that there are prostitutes that specialize in vampires, they drink Trueblood to keep their supply up." He continued "And they have to keep a bodyguard at the door incase the vamp gets too frisky."
Sookie crossed her arms and asked "Where did you read that?" with a raised eyebrow, the judgement very clear in her tone.
"a" Jason coughed out "a magazine or something". Embarrassment written across his face.

"Oh my, I wonder how much someone would pay for that" Gran wondered, quickly bringing everyone's attention off of Jason.
"1,000 bucks" he responded.
"Now I just can't believe that" Sookie said in exasperation.
"I know what type of women would subject herself to that" Gran agreed.
"No I mean they just get to lay there, but I have to bust my ass for $9 dollars an hour"
"amen to that Sook" I said.

"They don't just get to lay there, ya know they're expected to participate" Jason smirked, he seemed a little to into this conversation, for someone that was having it with his grandmother. Sometimes I wonder what is truly wrong with that man.
"Gross" Sookie responded.

The phone rang and Gran got up from her spot at the table to answer it. So, we all continued on with our breakfast until we heard Gran gasp loudly into the phone. She hung up and walked somberly back to the kitchen table.

"Maudette Pickens was found dead in her apartment." She said. There was a beat of silence.

I felt my heart drop, Maudette was dead, just like in my dream. I seemed to have had a vision or something of her death, I am a fucking freak of nature. I mean I already knew that I was different, but this, this is a whole new level. I looked over at Jason and he looked like he was even more freaked out than I was. I knew they slept together a few times, but he truly looked like he was shook to his core. One quick look into his mind and I understood why.