[4] A Strange Day

Taichi had the day off. She felt as though she had a lot to think about, plus she had perfect attendance so it wasn't like she'd be in any trouble. However, the minute the clock hit 12:00, there was a knock on the door.

''Hello?'' Taichi lent on the door as she sighed. She wasn't really ready for any visitors but of course, she still made a deal and had a dream. 

''It's me. Mai Fuchigami.'' Mai's voice was heard from the other side of the door. Taichi exhaled while swinging the door open, letting Mai in. ''Ooh, Nice place, Sasuke!'' Mai complimented, slightly sweating. ''Thanks. You either ran here or are nervous. What's going on, Fuchi-san?'' Taichi gave Mai a side smile, which alerted Mai straight away that Taichi was the one who has something going on. ''No. What's wrong with you, Taichi? You seem... stressed.'' As Mai flipped the question, Taichi sighed once more and dragged herself to the couch. ''Stressed is an understatement. I'm involved in mafia work and for what? So I can live out my perfectly perfect dream of being a model?'' Taichi sniffled. ''Oh Come on. The moment I first saw you kick ass was when I knew you were 100% cut out for this. My gut never lies, Taichi. And it told me that Yakuza work is in your blood. You were made for this line of work! Even after I finesse the modelling application, you'd be wasting your skills on looking pretty for sketchy photos!" Mai rested her hand on Taichi's shoulder as she was switching through channels on her living room's TV. She sat up and left it on the news channel. 

''I highly doubt that murdering businessmen is in my blood.'' Taichi sarcastically smiled as she kept walking forward, which made Mai walk back. She stopped in her tracks as her back hit the front door. ''Look at you, Taichi. You clearly want this. I'll be waiting in the alleyway for you. Might need these.'' Mai says in an antagonistic tone as she kicked the backpack she brought in closer to Taichi. The door opened, Mai waved and Taichi smiled back. The door closed as Taichi sat back on her couch and tried to forget about what happened by watching some TV.

3:30 pm hit. Another knock on the door. This time, another voice rang out, ''Tai-chan!!! It's me, Taeko! You haven't been to school in two whole days! I texted you last night saying I'd come over, didn't I? Come on! Lemme in!''. Taichi left the news on once again and got up to open the door. ''Hey TaeTae, Sorry I haven't been at school with you... It's been a rough week.'' Taichi said, letting Taeko rest her bag on the one Mai had brought in, not yet noticing the obvious misplacement.

''Tai-chan. You're my best friend! You can tell me what you were busy doing yesterday.'' Taeko said in such a sweet tone that it was hard to lie. ''I...'' Taichi was left with her mouth agape as she didn't know what to say.  Suddenly, the news caught their attention.

''...And in other news, there has been a mysterious break-in at Jawson's loan skyscraper. Sakimomo Jawson has claimed it was the Fuchigami clan, one of the highest-ranking Yakuza in all of Japan. However, the only evidence presented is the security footage and witness testimonies of two mystery intruders. This is what was shown on the security camera's.'' the news reporter then showed a video of Mai and Taichi breaking in through a window but from a different angle. This angle didn't show the faces but Taichi's old and tacky hoodie was something that Taeko couldn't miss. 

''Tai-chan. Is that your hoodie? YOU BROKE INTO SOMEONE'S OFFICE?!'' Taeko was shocked and angry but upset all at the same time. ''It was for a good cause, We're innocent!'' Taichi exclaimed but Taeko snapped back, ''THE INNOCENT NEVER RUN, TAICHI.'', ''You never call me Taichi...'' Taichi stared at the tears forming in Taeko's eyes. ''I'm sorry, Tai-chan. But I can't keep this information from Mr Jawson. Tomorrow after school, I'm going to go to Sakimomo's office and apologise for you. I'm also going to tell him who broke into his building.'', ''Taeko, no please, The job isn't done, I-'', ''YOU WHAT, Taichi? You were going to kill him if the cops didn't show up. Weren't you?'' After the rhetorical question, Taeko left. 

Taichi spent the next hour and a half pacing her room, crying, venting and punching every pillow she owned. She then thought of something so irrational that it might actually work.

Taichi didn't, however, go to the alleyway. It was dark out already, so it made sense why the office was empty. She was able to walk straight through the doors. She made it to the big boss's office, who she knew now was named Sakimomo Jawson. 

''Taeko?!'' Taichi exclaimed as she saw her best friend talking with Sakimomo. ''I'm sorry, Taichi. You're not a liar. That's why I have to tell the truth for you.'' Taeko was about to turn to Sakimomo, but as she did, she gasped. Sakimomo pulled out a gun and screamed, ''I knew it was the Fuchigami clan, you insufferable child. Luckily, Nobody cares if two amateurs suddenly die in my building.'' He laughed maniacally. ''Taeko, I love you but your so stupid sometimes!'' Taichi exclaims as she drags Taeko outside of the office. ''Come back here, Fuchigami's!'' Sakimomo screamed to the top of his lungs, alerting the few workers still in the building. They all chased Taichi and Taeko to the roof. This time though, there was no mattress or trampoline that Fuchigami members held at the bottom.  

''There's nowhere left to go!'' Taeko says, panicking. Taichi looked down at the city below and began to think. After a few seconds, Taeko calmly walks up towards her. 

''Taichi, what-'' Without warning, Taichi grabs Taeko and pushes her off the roof.

Taeko began screaming for her, but she didn't say anything. Then suddenly, Taeko felt someone catch her. Taeko looked up and realised it was Mai Fuchigami, hanging onto a helicopter.

''Wipe your tears,'' Mai laughed. ''You really thought Taichi'd kill someone she loves?''. With one last chuckle, Mai pulled herself and Taeko up onto the helicopter. The helicopter swerved forward, going down until it hit the ground. There waiting was Taichi. She had an extra rope in her bag for her to climb down with. ''I'm so glad you two are okay!'' She exclaims, running to hug the two. Mai pulled away and got back on the helicopter, before saying, ''That was a fun surprise heist. Thanks. You two better head home before the cops show up again. I'll see you after school tomorrow, I guess.''

On the way home, Taeko was left speechless. ''I'm sorry.'' Taeko suddenly says. ''It's not your fault. My best friend of years just found out that I got involved with local yakuza and attempted murder with a classmate. I should be sorry. Speaking of, I'm sorry... And, If we're still friends, I'll be going to school tomorrow if you'd like to meet at the gate.'', ''Yeah. I'd like that, Tai-chan.'' Taeko replied with a soft smile.

With that, Taichi and Taeko went home. Having a very well needed shower and long, deserved rest.