thirty nine | paralyzed

Thea and Sirius flew themselves to what was left of their brothers house.

The Potter home was blown to bits.  Parts of the house stood while the rest was caved in and smashed to pieces.  Thea felt a huge part of her die inside.

She saw Sirius already running inside the house.  Thea shook the shock out of her and ran after him inside. 

She repeated the same three sentences in her head over and over again: James was okay.  Lily was okay.  Harry was okay. 

This looks bad, Thea told herself, but once you're inside, you'll find James, Lily and Harry huddled together.  They'll be a bit shaken, but they'll be alive and okay. 

Once she got over the rubble in the front doorway and got inside, she found Sirius sobbing on the ground.  Thea looked over him and realized why he was crying.

Thea looked at James' face.  It was pale and still.  Thea thought it was a joke at first.  For a moment she expected him to sit up, announce he was fine, and explain that this was all actually a huge Halloween prank to scare the neighbors.

But it wasn't.

James Potter, Thea's twin brother and best friend, was dead.  Her small family of four had turned into a family of one in a short two years.

Thea felt paralyzed.  She let out a scream and fell to the ground.  She touched James' face and begged him to wake up, but he wouldn't.

"Please," she cried.  Sparks flew from her hands and her wand.  Thea was awful at controlling her stronger emotions.  "James.  Please."

Thea felt a hand pulling her away from her brother, but she wouldn't budge.  He was her first friend, he was her role model, he was her shoulder to cry on.  And now he was gone.  The world would never hear James Potter's voice again. 

"Thea, Harry.  Lily." Sirius said through sniffled.  "We'll come back for him."

Thea finally pushed herself off the ground and tore her eyes away from her twin brother.  She and Sirius climbed through the rubble and up the stairs.

"No," Thea cried.  "No.  No, no, Sirius.  I can't."

They couldn't see the top half of Lily, but they could see her legs sprawled out in Harry's room from the top of the stair case.

Sirius entered the room first.  Thea could hear his cries from the hallway.

She entered a minute later.  Sirius held tight onto Harry while he looked down at Lily, his cheeks tear stained and red.

Lily Potter died to save her son.  Young, brave, Lily Potter.  The girl who brought life back to James after Regulus had died.  Thea felt as if she was going to be sick.

"Pettigrew is dead." Sirius said through gritted teeth and sobs.

Those words broke Thea's heart.

Peter had been the secret keeper, yet he never told Thea.  He had been planning this all along.  All this time he had tried turning Thea and the others against Remus... but it had been him.  He was the traitor.

The two exited the house with Harry in a hurry, desperately wanting to get him someplace safe.

"Remus needs to leave my house.  He could be in danger." Thea said urgently.

Sirius nodded in agreement. 

Just then Hagrid, a person Thea had not seen since graduating Hogwarts, appeared.  He had been crying.

"Hello Thea, Sirius.  I've been instructed to take Harry to his aunt and uncle's house." Hagrid said through tears.

Sirius took a step back as Thea took a step forward between them.

"Hi Hagrid.  Sorry, that won't be happening.  I don't know who I can trust, and Sirius and I are his godparents.  We're leaving."

Sirius shook his head.

"You're leaving with Harry, I'm going after Pettigrew." He said, his tone venomous.

Hagrid's face fell into confusion.

"Pettigrew?  Ya mean Peter Pettigrew?  What's he got to do with all this?" Hagrid questioned.

At this point Sirius has practically been shaking with anger, but he couldn't leave with Harry in his arms.

"Peter Pettigrew is a traitor!  He was made the secret keeper at the last second and failed to tell Thea!  He's the reason James and Lily Potter are dead in their house!" Sirius shouted.  Harry, who had already been crying, began to cry harder.

Hagrid looked completely bewildered.

"Hagrid, please," Thea said in a soft tone, tears in her eyes.  "Go back to Dumbledore.  Tell him the truth and have people start looking for Peter tonight.  Remus and my daughter are at my house, and I need to get to them before Peter does.  I'm begging you."

Hagrid looked torn.  But as tears continued to flow down both Thea and Sirius' face, Hagrid finally nodded once before leaving Godric's Hollow. 

Thea took one last look at her brothers home.  She would be back soon for him and for Lily.  But right now, she needed Harry and Phaedra someplace safe.