Chapter 5: ✨ n i g h t m a r e ✨

I opened my eyes to see I was sat on a floating piece of wood. I turn my head to scan my surroundings. It's only water, for probably miles.

Though I can vaguely hear the sounds of waves crashing against, what I can only imagine as, jagged rocks.

Suddenly the water moved in much harsher and larger waves.

Then a downpour began.

The sky was already dark, but it was just now raining.

Because of the water's rough movement and the rain making it slippery, I fell off the wood I was seated upon.

I was soon engulfed by the water.

Opening my eyes, kicking my legs as hard as I could, and moving my arms as quickly as I could.

I made no progress. But instead, I just sank.

As I sank further into the depths of the water, I kept up my movements, but I was beginning to run out of air.

My chest felt tight and heavy. My head was pounding.

I felt as though my lungs and head were going to explode.

My vision began to go dark.

Water flooded my lungs.

And just as I was about to die-

I woke up.

I was crying. I sat straight up in my bed. My whole body was covered in a thin layer of sweat. And hot tears continued running down my face.

I ripped the blanket off my body so I could feel the cool air on my legs.
I tried to get up to go take a shower and cleanse my body of the sweat coating it.

But alas, I could not.

My entire body was shaking. I wasn't stable enough to walk to the bathroom.

I grabbed my phone from my nightstand to check the time.

3:47 AM (4/4)

I opened my phone and clicked on my contacts. I then clicked on favorites and selected Jaime.

I called her once and there was no answer. I called her a second time, and after the third ring, she answered.

"Briar? Everything okay? You aren't normally up at this time," she said, sounding somewhat concerned and as if she'd just woken up.

"Hey J. Um, yeah, I guess so. I had the nightmare again, and I just needed some comfort."

That nightmare was a recurring one of mine. For most of my life I've struggled with constant nightmares.

This one is probably one of the most common, yet it has a different effect on me everytime.It is also one of the ones that started when my dad left.

"Oh, Bri, I'm sorry. Do you want me to come over or something?"

"No, it's okay. I'm gonna try and go back to sleep, but um, could you stay on call? Please?"

"Yeah, sure. Let me know if you want me to come over, or if there's anything I can do."

"Okay, will do."

And with that, I drifted back into sleep. And I didn't awake until the morning.

///

Word Count: 462

A/N: This was originally a lot longer, but I felt this itself could be a sort of filler chapter. It also didn't really fit with the rest of the chapter it was originally going to be a part of. I am currently working on a longer chapter. It's got a lot, so be prepared! 

N E WAYZ, make sure to eat something, drink some water, and get some rest. Love y'all. -mads:)<3

Written: 9/16/2021 & 9/21/2021

Published: 9/22/2021 (1:30 am)