EIGHT; Erased

The school day dragged on, and only one thing went through my mind the whole day. The fact that Haru really only said I was a classmate. I mean, I know that there would never be anything between him and I, but still. I at least thought I was good enough to be acknowledged as a friend. 

"Hey, Y/n, what's wrong..?" I looked to my left to see Momiji walking beside me, his large brown eyes showing worry and sadness. I had stayed quiet all day and didn't really eat lunch either. He was probably able to read my mood like an open book. 

"What happened? You don't have to talk if you don't want to but I've never seen you so upset...I'm worried."

I couldn't help but to smile at my small friend. It was honestly an amazing feeling knowing that I had someone I could rely on so much.

"Is there a way to forget the curse but not our friendship...?"

I watched his eyes widen slightly, and his head looked around quickly to make sure that no one was watching. He took my hand, and began leading me towards a bench. We sat down, and he folded his hands in his lap delicately. "Why do you ask that..?"

"I'm sorry. I know it was a dumb question. I shouldn't have said it."

"Y/n, please. Talk to me."

"I messed up, Momiji. I let myself fall for Hatsuharu."

I was expecting him to be shocked, but he only sighed. I looked at him, and he then let out a small giggle.

"I was waiting for you finally admit it."

I widened my eyes, and he looked up at me sadly. "I knew for a little bit now. I could tell by how excited you would get when he would decide to show up to school, and how sad you would be when he didn't come. You were always a little more yourself when it came to him." His hand slowly reached over, and resting on top of my own.

"What did he do?" He asked, gripping my hand gently. 

"He got back with his ex...I didn't mind. I knew I couldn't be with him. I knew it was impossible. But...he introduced me to her. Sort of. He wrote me off as just his classmate, as if we hadn't spent the last month or more, I don't recall, with each other. I wasn't expecting anything romantic, but it hurt that I wasn't even called a friend."

"You said he's back with his ex?"

I nodded, and lowered my head. "I don't even know if I was supposed to tell you that. I'm pretty sure it was a secret. I'm so dumb."

"No, no. It's okay. I won't let it out that I know. But, are you going to let that small interaction be what defines your friendship? Maybe you should text or call him?"

"You're right...he would always come to my house every other day to hang out. He didn't last night, so I'll ask if he still is tonight."

I let a small smile finally adorn my face, as I pulled out my phone and flipped it open. I scrolled to his contact info, and proceeded to call him. Momiji smiled, leaning in to hear what he was going to say on the other end.

Though what I heard, all it did was make my heart drop to my stomach.

"I'm sorry, but this number is no longer available."

I slowly pulled my phone away from my ear, then turned to Momiji. As if reading my mind, he pulled out his phone and quickly dialed up Haru.

"M-Maybe he just changed numbers?" Momiji said, as he put his phone on speaker and hit call. 

Riiiing

Riiing

"What's up?"