Pushers

While I'm Mr. Armstrong's music class, the nominees for Spring Fling King and Queen are announced on the intercom. "First we have the nominees for Queen, Elisa Yao, Sarah Orzechowski, and Meagan Camper," the intercom announces. "For king, the nominees are... Pete Wentz..."

"What is wrong with the world?" Andy gasps upon hearing Pete was nominated.

The intercom continues, "Brendon Urie... and Patrick Stump. Congratulations to the nominees, and good luck at the Spring Fling!"

"Nominating me for King wasn't part of the plan," I whisper to Pete. Pete replies, "I didn't nominate you." Even Andy wasn't nominated! This is huge!

Mr. Armstrong calls me over to his desk, and I instantly know what it's about. "Patrick, you keep failing your assignments," Mr. Armstrong says. "I see your work, you know. Your work is right, but you keep circling the wrong answers. Is this about that Elisa girl?"

Truth be told, it is. Flunking music is the only way I can get close to Elisa, and I really want her to like me.

"Patrick, you don't need to dumb yourself down for Elisa," Mr. Armstrong says. "You need to push yourself. I push myself to work three jobs a week, just because I am a pusher. You can be a pusher, too, Patrick. Push yourself to succeed in life."

At lunch, I tell Brendon and Gerard about my conversation with Mr. Armstrong. "Pusher? What the heck is a pusher?" Brendon asks once I explain everything.

"Like a drug pusher? Mr. Armstrong said he works three jobs," Gerard says. "Maybe his third job is selling drugs."

I burst into laughter. "Holy smokes, Gee! You're hilarious!"

Brendon pulls out a familiar black book. "Let it out, Trick," he says. "Put it in the book."

I know it's wrong to spread rumors about people, but this was just a joke. After all, we all know Mr. Armstrong would never do or sell drugs. Besides, no one's gonna find out about the Burn Book.

Suddenly, Andy walks over to our table. "Hey guys, I made that Burn Book," Andy says. "I want it back." "Go away, Andy!" I laugh. "What are you going to even need it for?"

"N-n-nothing!" Andy stutters. "Just for the memories! Even though they weren't so great..."

I throw the book at Andy. "You can have it," I say. "Consider it a parting gift, Hurley. So long and goodnight."

He takes the book and leaves us alone. "It's like Ryan Ross all over again," Brendon sighs. "I know, Bren, I know," Gerard says, patting his friend's shoulder. "But we're so much better than Andy. Even I know that."

I head home with my friends, and we're finally free of Andy Hurley. But then my phone rings, and I realize I'm in for the group text of a lifetime.