3-Black Roots

🥀Ayla's POV🥀

I was lying in a large tub in the Darkling's tent, the most heavenly smells of ginger and hibiscus dancing in the air around me.

I felt my body relax for the first time today.

I heard a polite knock at the door, separating me from where the Darkling had earlier basically commanded me to go bath ,while shoving a clean pair of clothes into my arms.

I was pissed off at the command at first but when I looked down at my blood covered clothes and body I suddenly wanted nothing more than a warm bath... and maybe a corner to curl up in.

I pulled my knees to my chest and glanced over my shoulder. "What is it?" I said feeling my muscles tense up all over again.

I saw the door open slightly and a pale hand slid through the crack placing a glass filled with clear liquid on the floor. The hand dissapeared and the door clicked closed.

Begrudgingly I got out of the water's warm embrace, wrapping a towel around me. I picked up the glass and took a small sip. Immediately my senses were overwhelmed by intense, burning alcohol. I started coughing as my eyes started to tear up.

"Everything alright in there ?"
I could practically hear the smirk in his voice.

"I'm fine." I coughed.

"Because if you need some assistance in there, I'd be more than willing to lend a helping hand"

I felt angry and oddly flattered at the same time. I chose to focus on the anger, pushing that odd tingling in my stomach to the back of my mind.

I opened the door and stuck my head out. "Don't you have some rebellion somewhere to lose ?"

The Darkling was sitting in a chair ,a glass with the same clear liquid dangling from his fingers. His legs were stretched out in front of him. He seemed to ooze confidence and authority.

His eyes locked with mine and blackened.

I immediately regretted my words. I was truly an absolute idiot. What was I thinking, angering a man who had once forced a woman to eat the kidney of her murdered infants? I'm sure that can't be true... Right?

I nervously looked down, too scared that the darkness in his eyes would swallow me whole. Would I have to eat someone's kidney? Or else, who would I be fed to?

I looked up startled when I heard him laugh. It was a dark chuckle that made a shiver run down my spine.

I had actually made the Darkling laugh.

I felt a hesitant smile form on my face.

"The rebellions are going to have to wait, I'm enjoying you in that towel far too much at the moment." He spoke, a sly smirk creeping over his gorgeous features as he took a sip of the drink dangling from his fingers.

The smile immediately dropped off my face and my cheeks turned a deep shade of scarlet.

I stepped back into the bathroom slamming the door shut, his dark chuckles taunting me.

Why did this man confuse me so much? I was scared shitless and at the same time intruiged endlessly by him. Another part of me wanted nothing more than to slap that arrogant smirk right off his face.

Then there was the part I was ashamed to admit. The part of me that wanted to wrap my legs around his waist and kiss him, while dragging my fingernails across his bare back.

There was something about his deliciously dark aura I wanted to drown in.

My own thoughts made me blush. I downed the rest of the alcohol in one, desperate gulp and felt a warm, calm glow settle on me.