19- Meeting the monster.

🥀Ayla's POV🥀

Everything was happening so fast. But at the same time events seemed to pass serenely slow. We had moved to the bed and Alexander was groaning while gently kissing me, far too gentle for the things I knew him to be capable of.

His harsh thrusts seemed to lull me back to sanity as my back arched in an explosion of pure pleasure.

In a world where everyone had left me out in the cold.

This felt like home.

This felt like love...

I snuggled closer to him and rested my head on his bare chest.

"How are you feeling?" He mumbled placing a chaste kiss on my forehead. I craned my neck to look up at Alexander.

"Alive." I smiled softly.

"Saints, those eyes. I could stare at them forever." He mumbled
"Did it hurt?" He asked moving his hand to braid his fingers through my hair.

"A bit at first." I shrugged.
I suddenly felt a very unfamiliar feeling bubble up... Insecurity. I had experienced many unpleasant things in my life. But this feeling made the Shu sticking needles into my fingertips feel like a spa treatment the nobles would enjoy.

"Did I do alright?" I mumbled feeling dread at the prospect that I had somehow been a disappointment.

Seconds later I was flipped onto my stomach. Something between a laugh and a shriek left my throat at the unexpected movement.

Alexander hovered behind me as his velvety voice whispered. "I hope you didn't plan on getting much sleep tonight. Because you did so well, I don't see us doing much else tonight."
................

I slept a blissful, dreamless sleep for the first time in months. After hours of doing things that still make me blush, I'd finally drifted off into a sleep unhaunted by the faces of the dead.

A icy whisper seemed to penetrate through the fog of sleep and make my blood run cold. It sounded like a threatening hiss in the wind.

"Ayla."

My eyes flew open and my body shot upright in the bed. The last time I had heard that voice, it had promised it would be back to kill me.

The serene scene around me did nothing to calm my racing heart. Alexander was fast asleep, his usually neat hair looked tousled from when I had repeatedly run my hands through his hair. There was an ever so slight smile on his sleeping face.

I slowly made my way to the tent opening. The night looked calm and quiet.

I took a few steadying breaths, convincing myself that I was safe. I wanted nothing more than to be safe.

I looked back at Alexander's sleeping form. The Rusalka's words played through my mind.

"All you are to him is a mindless puppet on a string. Nothing more, nothing less."

"I shudder to think what will become of you once the Darkling tracks down a Rusalka."

I angrily grabbed a blanket that had fallen on the floor during our earlier... activities and tossed it around my shoulders.

Tonight I would find out why the Darkling was so desperately in search of the Rusalka. Tonight I would find out who he truly was.