Chap 11

It was late in the afternoon. Carefully, strenuously searched throughout the ocean. Even though the recon pod served better as a spotter, I'd still be looking down out from the cockpit to see anything on the surface of the deep blue below me. Looking at the instruments of my aircraft, the fuel indicator was just above half. As unsatisfied I was about the search, I was forced to turn back. Giving one more quick look around, I almost forgot all of the fuel pods I had been carrying, all eleven of my hardpoints carried one. As efficient as it could have been to drop those that are empty, absolutely no trace of my existence is to be given, even if it were to sink to the very bottom. Having finished, I then started the long journey back. As comfortable and familiar the Harrier's seat was, all of my body was still tired, my back and bottom most of all from the sedentary position. Listening closer to the engine I could hear that the jet herself was also getting tired.

Arriving at the fleet, it was a vast raid task force, composed mainly of carriers. I finally was able to land, to finally stand and use my legs. I wobbled a tremendous amount as I walked poorly across the flight deck, it was Ark that caught me before I was about to fall. "Oh, hello love." I greeted. "You alright?" she asks. "Yeh, yeh, I'm alright. *grunt* Just need to squeeze in one more scouting sortie." I was about to return to the Harrier as soon as the Manjuus notified me that they had finished prepping it, damn they're fast, that was until Ark stopped me. "No, no, you've done enough. Our own aircraft can fill in the final leg of the journey, you need to rest for the final stage of the mission, come." She prompted.

Ark led me to the captain's quarter. I had a quick dinner, toast sandwich. She then insisted that I take a shower, which I did and I realized how much I actually needed it. After coming out, I saw Ark sat at the bed with her legs together and laid down horizontally. "What is it?" I asked. Without speaking, she simply, lightly, patted a spot on the bed next to her, to which I then sat. Before I could say another thing, she pulled me down and placed my head on her lap. Looking up to her, she was blushing a little, but maintained her composure. "Sleep now while you can, you will need it, for my sake and the mission's." She pleaded, though, she needn't say it twice as I was already half asleep. Ark strokes my hair and a memory of my mother is immediately brought back as when she did it to me when I was a child, a tear forms, realizing once more that I may never see my family again, but who's to say I can't make more? Finally, sleep envelopes me.

Shaken awake, the room was nearly dark, to barely be illuminated by the moon and other outside light sources. "Love, it's time," said Ark. I was barely able to make out her silhouette. As I got up, she gave me a quick kiss on the head, which then I returned the favor on her cheek. Sitting up straight, I rubbed my eyes, yawned, and gave myself a few seconds to mentally wake up. I glanced at Ark, despite the darkness, I was just able to see her eyes. As if it gave me energy, I finally got up, and also went to splash some cold water on myself for good measure.

Walking out to the flight deck, it was perfectly night, with the countless twinkling of stars in the deep black. The time was 2350 hours, as peaceful as the night would have been, if it weren't for the loud screeching of multiple jet engines. Behind my Harrier, were other jets, the Supermarine Attacker, all other Royal Navy carriers in the fleet are also equipped with this fine mechanism, thanks to the courtesy of Amazon, as for the Eagle Union, they have the McDonnell F2H Banshee. All of the jets including mine have been equipped with new weaponry, again, thanks to Amazon. Granted, while we have all of this fancy new stuff, we most likely will need to keep using our old bombers to deal good damage to surface targets.

Sat in the Harrier, visors from my helmet provided my night vision. The time was 2359 hours, one minute till H-hour. I shivered but not of cold. It was apparent that I was a little nervous, or was it excitement? Regardless it was a long anticipation for the order, really makes you realize how long a minute can be. Finally the command came, "H-hour, H-hour! Wings out, Wings out!" Full throttle to the engine, I flew away. But the other jets stayed, it wasn't the time for them yet. Going as fast as possible, the sound barrier is broken. Flying at wave top level, a trail of kicked up water follows behind me.