brain freeze

chapter five; brain freeze

NESRYN SMILED at a second-year who bought a box of her product. 

Where he got the money to buy it, she didn't know and wasn't going to ask. 

Nesryn packed up her little stand with a swish of her wand, deciding that today's sales were enough to close early. She turned the corner, immediately spotting the twin she's been avoiding for two nights. 

She could not bear facing him after what he told her. After he pleaded with her to let him be there for her. 

It was too awkward for Nesryn. Especially when she hadn't said anything back to him. 

Because what was she going to say? "Okay, I'll stop trying to end myself because you asked me so nicely." 

That would be too awkward and Nesryn was not a confrontational person. But it was too late because he saw her, and his steps quickened. 

She contemplated turning around and pretending like she didn't see him, but he had already reached him. 

"Hey, Nesryn. Right?" He asked.

Something was different about him.

Nesryn nodded, unsure of why he was asking when they were already familiar with each other.

He slung his arm casually around her shoulders, leading them to an undetermined destination. "How ya been?" He looked into her eyes, genuine curiosity gleaming in his eyes. 

"Good..." 

His hair was styled differently and the confidence oozing off of him was different. It took her a while, but no. This was not George. It was his twin brother, Fred. 

"Listen, I've been noticing that you've been gaining popularity with the younger students." He waved at students walking by. "And, truthfully, your popularity has been a hassle for George and me, but alas, I welcome the challenge."

Fred let go and turned to face her. "This," he pointed to her and himself, "is a competition. You're a worthy rival and I wish you the best. But you won't win."

"Why not?"

"Because this year is going to be different from before. George and I have big plans for the future."

He left with a huge grin and walked back in the other direction. 

Confused, she continued on her normal path. The twins were oddballs, but she was slowly becoming acquainted with them.

Nesryn found herself waiting outside of the Ravenclaw entrance after her latest attempt on her life. She was waiting for someone else to try their luck with the riddle the golden eagle handle spewed. 

She sat on the floor, glaring at its head. 

How annoying, she thought. 

This happened a lot when she was a first-year. Nesryn never really cared for riddles, but the entrance to the common room was determined by whether or not you had the right answer to the riddle. 

She swore the eagle was biased, now she had to wait for another Ravenclaw to try their luck. Nesryn had thought the stupidest thing about all of this was you only got one go at it. 

Her savior had finally arrived, a little disheveled and hurried. He glanced down and laughed. 

"Couldn't figure it out again, Nesryn?" Roger asked. 

Roger Davies often went to bed late because of Quidditch practice, but he usually stayed the latest because of his captain duties. Because of that, he was the one that usually helped her out in situations like this. 

Nesryn shrugged, "I wasn't paying attention."

She wouldn't say they were friends, but she was grateful for his help. 

The eagle asked the riddle and Roger thought for a second before whispering his answer to the eagle.  The door swung open and Nesryn stood. 

"What was it?"

"Friendship."

She rolled her eyes, "that was stupid."

Roger smiled and allowed her to enter first. He was a nice boy, and so was George. She couldn't see herself trying to stop what she wanted to do because a boy asked her nicely. 

He gave her back a pat and headed towards a group of boys. Nesryn gave him a small nod and made her way to her dorm, remembering that she had to write an entry for today's attempt.

dear journal, 

today i tried death by ice cream. 

crazy as it sounds, the brain freeze after it was no joke. unfortunately, I'm still alive and well, just colder than before. though, I've fortunately made good sales. my products are selling fast with the younger students. the only thing I have to worry about is my competition. about that...

one twin has declared war on me while the other has promised to be my hero. 

i really don't understand them, and I think I might hurt myself if I tried to. I haven't spoken to George ever since he begged me to allow him to save me. but there's a saying that says not to save someone who doesn't want to be saved. i have nothing against George. he is a good person. someone like him should focus his abilities elsewhere. 

today was not as promising as i had hoped it would be. 

if this is my last entry, assume that I've died. 

Nesryn sighed. Something was troubling her mind and it had everything to do with a ginger that has a hero complex. If she didn't do anything about it soon, Nesryn won't be able to have the peaceful death she craves.