Muggle Studies

chapter six; Muggle Studies

Charity Burbage was a Muggle fanatic. She enjoyed learning more about the other side. That was why she became a professor at Hogwarts, teaching students about what she loved.

"Muggles are different from us," She tapped the chalkboard, "but different is good." 

Being a pureblood, Nesryn was required to take this class. 

Professor Burbage preferred having students interested in what she taught, but most purebloods did not care for the flip side. 

Students chatted in a corner, some doodled on their hands, and others slept. Professor Burbage was not oblivious to it, but she managed a smile and continued her lesson. 

"They use cars to transport themselves and telephones to communicate with others."

As much as Nesryn wanted to care, she didn't. She couldn't focus on Professor Burbage's lesson when she felt a hole burning into the back of her head. She was almost afraid to look behind. 

George and Fred failed Muggle Studies in their sixth year, and now as seventh years, they were ready to leap out of their chairs and run as far as they could from Hogwarts. They weren't crazy about Muggles like their father, but for his sake, they retook the class (also because they had no other choice but to retake it.)

"She seems very into the lesson, George." Fred made an out loud observation. 

Nesryn's suspicions were confirmed. The twins were the ones making her feel uncomfortable.

"Maybe she wants to live among the Muggles when she graduates." Fred rested his head on his palm. 

George pondered this idea and shook his head. He was positive that for as long as he's known Nesryn, she's never shown an interest in Muggles. "She's not into that." 

"How do you know that for sure?"

Nesryn estimated them to be exactly one set of desks away from her. That meant two poor souls were suffering from their lack of politeness. 

"Let's ask her," came Fred's brilliant idea. The twins were in a hushed conversation, scribbling down something before tapping the boy in front of them. "Hey, hey, be a chap and give this note to the lady in front of you."

Fred was always the pushier one of the two, but this time he was just being straight-out annoying. 

The boy passed the note on.

The note read: Do you like Muggles? Do you want to live in their world when you graduate?

She read the note, barely deciphering the horrid handwriting before crumpling the paper and tossing it to the side. 

"What!" Fred stood, severely offended. Most girls would die for a note from him or his brother, yet Nesryn tossed it to the side without a second thought.

"Mr. Weasley?" Professor Burbage stopped writing on the chalkboard, "do you feel that strongly about the Muggle's fascination with animals kept in cages?"

George snickered at his brother's predicament, wondering how he was going to get out of this one. He did not doubt that Nesryn would do that. She's never indulged in their ridiculous antics, so he wondered why Fred thought she would now.

"I- yes. It's just utterly horrible for Muggles to encage animals for entertainment purposes, don't you think, George?"

Immediately nodding his head, George stood with his brother. "Of course. The extremities Muggles go for pleasure is astounding."