~ Prologue ~

8 years ago, September 19 - Eze, France 

I try my best to get my weak and brittle body off the cold concrete floor. Touching my bruised and bloodied cheek.

We were used to being mistreated by our Aunt, but today was different. It was more than just a few slaps, punches, and blood.

This was death.

This time she wanted to kill us. I look in her eyes and see nothing, the same detached glare with a lack of passion.

She hated us...for existing.

But why?

Why?

WHY?

What did we do to deserve this, what did three 8-year-old children do to deserve this wickedness this impish.

She reminded us every day about how we destroyed her life - or at least what she had...

She reminded us of her pain by putting us through pain.

But why?

I look around and my eyes land on both of my brothers, one clutching his bruised stomach coughing blood and the other holding the sides of his injured head.

Tears start to fill my eyes, and my mind turns foggy.

My intoxicated aunt was walking towards me, and I was too numb to move.

'Is life really worth living?'

I was ready to give it up, stop trying.

I closed my eyes waiting for my inevitable faith.

Until I hear a gunshot and a deafening blood-curdling scream.

I swiftly open my eyes and see my brother Luca tears in his eyes a fist and one hand and a gun in the other.

"She is...dead" Luca says in disbelief, evident sorrow in his voice, and tears.

"She is...dead" Matteo says, dropping on his knees and starting to cry.

I say nothing but cry, I don't know why... we were...safe?

Both my brothers hug me, and we cry together.

Cries of happiness, pain, worry, and sorrow.

'But why was I sad...why did I still have affection for someone that never showed me anything but...cruelty"

My brothers and I huddled in the corner of the room looking at what we did. 

We have killed people before but it never felt...like this.

Before we could really think about anything else, we started to hear sirens. We all sniffle and suck it up, cold.

From that moment we knew one thing, life is a game that needs to be played and if you don't...you'll get played, and we're not going to make it alone, we needed to stick together.

you'll get played, and we're not going to make it alone, we needed to stick together