Chapter 4: Chiron and Riptide

Flashback

Young Perseus was running around the throne room with his siblings while they waited on their father. The three were getting a trainer of the sorts; someone to help train them in combat as well as get a better hold of their powers.

"Children!"

The triplets quickly turned to see their father walking into the throne room along with a half-horse, half-man.

"A centaur!" They collectively yelled.

"I thought centaurs were evil?" Perseus blurted out.

"Have some respect," Zeus quickly said. "This is Chiron and he will be your trainer."

"How can you train us with four legs?" Artemis stated. "That seems like a disadvantage."

"Would you allow me to demonstrate?" Chiron asked.

Artemis drew her daggers from her belt and placed them in front of her while the centaur drew a sword from his side.

Artemis charged forward as she grew in size in order to match the centaurs height. She quickly struck with her first blade and swiped with the second after Chiron had deflected her first attack. Her second attack had no affect as he was also quick with his blade.

She backed off only for him to rush back into her space. The centaurs rush caught the goddess off guard and caused her to stumble backwards.

"A loss for now, but that's only because I surprised you," Chiron said. "In a second fight you would probably beat me just due to your godly nature."

"How about I give it a try," Perseus spoke up.

"Feeling confident my son?" Zeus questioned.

"Yes, father. I am the god of swordsmanship after all. I've already copied your fight pattern."

A smirk grew on Chiron's face. He rushed forward and raised his sword towards the young god who responded by raising his sword in defense.

Perseus didn't notice the centaur turning his rear to the boy until it was too late. Two hooves sent the young god flying backwards.

"I heard you were supposed to be the humble one," Chiron said jokingly.

"Apologies," Perseus groaned. "Sometimes I can get cocky."

"That's fair," Chiron responded before turning to Apollo. "I'm guessing you prefer the bow."

Apollo nodded in response.

"Good," Chiron said. "Your training will begin at once."

The triplets were dismissed leaving the King of the Gods and the centaur.

"Train them well, Chiron," Zeus said softly. "Afterwards, Artemis and Perseus will start their hunt and Apollo will create his own future."

"I will do my best, but don't you think your worrying a little too much?"

"No, I fear I don't worry enough. We may be gods and we may have immortality, but we are still vulnerable. We can still fade...

Any man could kill a God."

Another Flashback! Apologies.

"Thank you for everything Chiron," Apollo said as he and Artemis exited the room.

Chiron watched as they walked away before turning back to Perseus.

"It's time for you to go as well, my boy," Chiron spoke up.