TR13

“Dust?” Jack asks, examining the ashes. “Why do you have dust in you pocket?”

“I don’t know!” I reply, exasperated, he’s been asking me the same question for at least an hour now and it’s really getting on my nerves.

“But, it’s dust and it was in your pocket. How do you not know?”

“Jack. I’m going to Warren. Bye.” I grate out before leaving as fast as I could, he’s never been this annoying before.

I enter the magicians wing, seeking Warren, I know he’d be here somewhere in the hubbub of people but I wanted to speak to him about what happened alone. The less people that knew the better, especially when I didn’t know what was happening myself.

Instead of finding him, he found me which was what usually happened. He leads me straight to his private meeting room.

“I had a feeling you would come to talk to me.” He says as he flops into a chair.

“I have some questions.”

“Go ahead.” He summons some drink and snacks with a wave of his hand.

“Can a hex be more than a hex?” I ask, fully aware that my questions is more than a little vague.

“What do you mean?”

“Like, it’s a hex but when I thought of it as an illusion it became an illusion and the fear that I thought of it, well it turned into that too.”

“Did you think of it as a spell? Or anything else?”

“Nope, I don’t really know much about magic, and those were the only too that came to mind.”

“So how did you get out of the hex, and where di you encounter it?”

“I used the hex threshold, after presuming there was one, against itself and managed to get out, when I looked back there was nothing there and no sign of the room ever being there. Plus, some papers I had put into my pocket before weren’t there any more it was just dust.”

“Well that would certainly take a whole lot of power, what you’ve just described is very rare it’s called The Changeling, you lure your prey with a scenario they’d want and then once they’re in they use your thoughts against you. So, essentially they only way you got out was because you thought you could. There is no escaping a changeling if you had thought the hex had a time limit, it would have done that too. You could have stayed in that room forever, slowly disappearing into nothingness as the hex used would have your life essence to fuel it and nobody would have ever found you. When you stepped into that hex you got transported somewhere else, I’m really worried about you now Anna. Clearly something bad is happening and I have no idea what, or who is behind it.”

“Don’t tell Jack.” I say immediately, knowing that he would take this hex against me personally.