Introduction

Ricky and Nini have been best friends since he fell on the playground when they were only six years old. She skipped over, pigtails bouncing in the breeze, and gave him a bandaid from the pocket of her Hello Kitty overalls. It had little purple butterflies on it.

(Her Mama D had always made sure she had bandaids since she was so accident prone herself. Or maybe because her moms were just so worried about their youngest child.)

He had told her that butterflies were girly. She just replied and told him so was getting your owies kissed better, but it still worked when your mom did it. Not to mention weird playground boy, what is wrong with being girly? Ricky had looked at her with wide eyes, and asked her to kiss it better for him and so she did, giving the little boy she'd only just met a kiss on his scraped knee.

Did it make the wound better? Probably not in any literal sense, but the magic butterfly girl certainly took his pain away.

From that day forward, they became best friends. After the school nurse gave them a talk about germs of course.

They were friends all through elementary school and in the seventh grade Nini developed a crush on her best friend. Puberty hit hard for just about everyone around that time, and when she realized she had feelings for him, she tried her best to suppress them for the sake of their friendship. Kourtney thought her crush was annoying anyway.

It was just silly hormones like Mama D talks about when they discuss her 'changing body'. They'd level out and the crush would fade. She wouldn't always want to gaze into his sparkling brown eyes or run her fingers through the soft curls of his hair...

She just has to keep pushing those thoughts away.

It turns out repressing your feelings doesn't work. It maybe even makes them stronger. Case in point it's the summer before senior year starts and she's still harboring a hopeless crush on her best friend Ricky Bowen.

Even though she hangs out with the guys at the skate park like she's one of them. Even though he's been dating this stuck up ballerina who couldn't give two shits about him when they were around her friends.

None of that matters though does it?

All that matters is that he's Ricky fucking Bowen and she's halfway in love with him.

At least she's not one of those ya protagonist type girls Kourtney jokes about whose crush doesn't even know she exists.

He definitely knows she exists, they spend almost all of their free time together...

She's not sure if that makes it easier or harder to handle these overwhelming feelings she has for him. Yet she's not sure if she'll ever not carry a torch for this boy.

But it doesn't matter, because he's never going to know. She's certain she can't tell him. He'd never feel the same way... right?