19.

nini wasn't expecting to hear from anyone as she sat on the floor of aspen's living room between ricky's legs, his hand on her thigh as the two were occupied with a movie the group was watching. all her actual friends were sitting in this same room and had no real reason to text her. but she was getting a text message all the same.

she wanted to go home earlier, but she couldn't commit to it when her mom did call. that was probably because of ricky, whether it be the feeling of his hand on her skin or just the sight of him nearby.

"who is it?" ricky asks as she pulls her phone out of her bag, having also heard the buzzing sound, and nini shrugs, looking at the screen.

"it's gina..."

"oh. okay... what did she say?" he's so quiet as he asks, and it's clear by the tone that the low volume is not about not distracting the others.

"i didn't read it yet." she hums, leaning back and looking up at him curiously, a bit of concern in her face since she's unsure exactly how he might feel.

"it's okay if you want to." ricky insists. "it could be good to be friends."

"she never wanted to be your friend, why would she be mine?" she asks him, feeling his breath hot against her neck which she can't help but be a bit distracted by despite the relative seriousness of the conversation.

"she wasn't the best girlfriend, but that doesn't mean she isn't able to be a good friend. maybe not for me... but for you?" he replies, and it's clear he's genuine in the words.

"okay. and i mean- ricky if you want to be friends with her... or if you wanted to get back together with her... you know that that would be okay too?"

"what?"

that particular word comes out louder than the previous, loud enough to draw the attention of the others.

"i'm not saying you do, just that if you weren't over her that that would be okay." she replies, shrugging her shoulders.

"nini why would you think i'm not over her? or especially why on earth would you think i'd want to date her again?" he's clearly not sure whether to raise his voice or let it fall away into a whispered silence, so his tone is just clear and a bit cool.

"i don't know, maybe because it's only been three weeks. and you spent so much time wrapped up in me that you didn't process it all and now you're just distracting yourself. so obviously things aren't over for you..." she explains herself coolly, yet somehow she can't help but maintain the proximity between them.

"we're best friends neens, i would tell you if i was still into gina. i'm over it. my heart is elsewhere. maybe that's not fair to her, but it's true." he shakes his head, hand gripping at her thigh as he has nothing else to clutch onto like he normally would.

"okay. okay fine." she sighs. "you like someone else. who? who do you think you like?"

"am i genuinely the only one who feels this... this thing between us?"

"excuse me?" now it's her turn to raise her voice, turning everyone's head once more, but ricky shoos their attention away with his hand.

"i'm sorry i asked." he frowns, letting the conversation end once more. "be friends with gina. but don't tell me i still like her."

nini turns back to see what the text from gina actually said and ricky just looks back up at the movie, though it's obvious that's the last thing on his mind.

—