23. Bittersweet confessions

Off-track shot. Requested by jiya070

Annika slipped out of bed quietly as possible. Shivaay was finally asleep after almost an hour of grumbling about work and how Rudra really needed to keep his cabin door shut when Bhavya came to visit. She was pretty sure he found something odd when she kept on nagging at him to hurry up, because usually they would spend a while before sleeping telling each other about what had happened during the day. She watched for a moment as he snored softly, cuddled up to the pillow on his end. He overtaxed himself really, she could tell from the bags under his eyes but then again if he would just listen to her then he wouldn't be the great Bagadbilla Singh Oberoi would he now?

Pulling the covers over him and stroking his hair one last time, Annika hurried out of their room. She banged into the vase in the hall and prayed that the resounding noise would not wake up anyone. She resisted the maddening urge to groan and rubbed the corner of her arm, trying to ease the throbbing. When she was sure of the fact that everyone was still fast asleep, she proceeded to kitchen.

She switched on the lights, glad that no one slept on the ground floor and that she could begin her attempt in peace. She propped her phone next to the gas and opened the website for the recipe to bake a simple chocolate cake. It was her kids' 4th birthday in 2 months and she wanted more than anything, to perfect this till then. Hopefully, her attempt would succeed and the joy on her babies' face would absolutely be worth it. When she had it all assembled, she squinted into the phone muttering the instruction first and poured in some flour.

Just as she began to crack the eggs, there was the sound of shuffling feet and Annika peered out at the dark hall, she couldn't see anyone there but she had definitely heard someone come in. Perhaps she had just imagined it? Besides, if anyone was to turn up she could just say she was having a glass of water.

"What are you doing here at 1 in the morning?" he asked, crossing his arms.

Annika jumped, startled and then turned to meet Shivaay's gaze. He was looking at her as if he had caught her sneaking candies from the kids' jar.

'Wait- maybe that could make for a good cover story.'

"Annika, what are you doing here?" he repeated.

She bit her lip, maybe she should just tell him the truth.

"Nothing, I was just here to have some water." she said, avoiding him. She knew that he'd be able to catch her lie within seconds if she looked at him. It was one of Shivaay's many intuitions when it came to Annika.

"There's a jug of water on our coffee table and you always sleep with a full glass on your end anyway." he said suspiciously.

Annika quickly moved the bowl so it would cover the eggs and glared at Shivaay, "Ha toh, I forgot today, no thanks to you and your son."

Shivaay chuckled, "So when they bother you, they're my kids and when they do something cute they're yours?"

Annika pouted, "Yes because you, you are very troublesome." she concluded with a huff.

"Whatever, we both know where their trouble-making comes from." he mumbled and then catching the expression on his wife's face promptly added, "my idiot brother that is."

"Rudra's sweet, don't blame him." she chided, hoping that this would divert his attention from the matter at hand. However, she should have known better, the only way to distract Shivaay Singh Oberoi was his beloved wife, Annika doing certain things.

"Don't try that baby, it won't work. Now, if you're done beating around the bush, what pray tell are you doing in my kitchen?"

"Pehle toh, it's dadi's kitchen and I told you na, I just came here to have a glass of water!" Annika said in irritation.