Part Forty

The two of you are in the aisle where they have the clothes section. You've picked out a scarf for Bucky [When the weather is getting colder, he shouldn't get cold]. You tell him, he needs to look for his sizes and that he can take some more clothes, but he the only thing he chose are some thicker socks.
As you're about to go to the aisle, a small child suddenly comes running around the corner and bumps directly into Bucky.

A little girl, maybe three or four years old; she has brown hair braided into two pigtails and bright blue eyes. She's wearing a rainbow colored dress with butterfly appliques on it and a pair of bright pink sneakers with flashing LED lights on it.
Her vibe is so different from Bucky's, she's like a little rainbow and he's like a big dark shadow. When she bumps into him, she staggers back a little and then looks up, puzzled, to spot her obstacle. As she sees the tall dark-suited man with the grumpy face in front of her, she slowly backs up with her eyes wide open.

You notice that she's getting scared and will eventually start to cry. Even though the thought of having to talk to her gives you a lump in your throat, better you talk to her than Bucky, who by the way seems just as uncomfortable as you. She would only start crying or run away screaming, if he tried to approach her.
You decide to push yourself in front of Bucky and push him behind you, sliding your arm across his stomach [He seems even more nervous than I do, as if he doesn't know what to do. It's for the best if I talk to her... allthough I don't want to]. Then you get down to the girl, squatting in front of her and giving her your biggest and friendliest smile.

You: "W-Wow, you sure ran fast, little one. You've bumped into my friend pretty hard there, I hope you didn't hurt yourself"

She shakes her head, her gaze still fixed on Bucky.

You: take a look over your shoulder to Bucky "My friend probably looks like a big meanie, doesn't he? But I can assure you he's a very nice guy, so you don't have to be scared" you clear your throat "Come on Sweetheart, let's go look for your mommy, okay? I'm sure she misses you already"

You're holding out your hand, it trembles, but the little girl takes it anyway.

You: stand up and turn to Bucky "I'll be right back. Wait for me here"

Bucky opens his mouth trying to say something. You can see that he doesn't want to let you go alone and away from his side.

You: give him a soft and comforting smile "I'll come back, I promise"

The girl and you go off and begin searching the corridors together. You walk by her side while she pulls you along with her by your arm. About 10 minutes and seven corridors later, you find her mother. The woman is totally stressed out, trying to calm her baby in the cart down, while nervously looking around for her daughter. As she spot the two of you, she's overjoyed to see her little girl again. She says her daughter must have sneaked away while she was busy with her baby. The mother thanks you like a tousand times, then you say a brief goodbye to them before you go away.

Out of their sight, you take a deep breath as you walk back, your hands still shaking. Normally you would just avoid having contact with children and babies, but you couldn't let that girl run around the store with her mother worried sick. Otherwise you wouldn't have done such a thing, to look at a child or to interact with one, just reminded you of something that happend a few years ago. It was one of the reasons you chose to stay at your cabin in the forest, away from the society and especially the people.

Bucky stands nervously in the middle of the aisle pacing back and forth, it's been 15 minutes since he let you go. Just as he's about to look for you, you come around the corner.

You: hold your arms wide open "I told you I would come back"

You force a smile on your face. Reaching out for the shopping cart, your hands are visibly shaking, unfortunately Bucky notices.

Bucky: worried with a soft, calm tone "Are you alright?"

You: play it off "Yeah... Let's keep going, we have to get a few more things"

Your grip clings tightly to the bar of the shopping cart. You continue to walk with the shopping cart, you picked up your pace, trying to forget the situation and moving forward.
While walking through the aisles you pack everything that catches your eye and seems important into the cart, like candles, a flashlight, tissues, toiletpaper and some other things. Bucky is worried and watches you closely. Your behavior is different now than it was at the beginning of your shopping trip. At the beginning you've had a smile on your face and even laughed, and now you've lost the smile and seem distant, away with your thoughts, while almost running through the aisles of the supermarket.
Next, you turn into the alcohol section, you're about to reach into a shelf to grab a bottle of scotch. Bucky stops you and grabs your forearm, you stare at him.

Bucky: "Something happend. What's wrong?"

You: quietly "Nothing"

Bucky: growls "Y/N? What's wrong with you?"

He examines you from head to toe, the only thing he notices are your shaking hands and flushed cheeks. You bite your lip as you're trying not to shout out what you actually think [I do trust him somehow, but this is something that I just can't talk about... Not with him or anyone else... At least not now, I'm not ready for it]. The only thing you want right now is to forget the situation with the girl, and not let yourself get to much into your thoughts about the past.

You: "Just leave me be, please. I don't want to talk about it... Can we just finish shopping and go back to the house?"

Bucky still seems unsure also worried, yet he carefully lets go of your arm. You sigh and put the alcohol in the shopping cart [I just want to leave and get out of here].
After a while you are finally finished, you only had to pick out a few more things. Together you go to the checkout to pay, you put the groceries in the basket you brought with you and in a few paper bags. The whole time you don't say a word to Bucky, and he doesn't ask you again.