Brother to Brother

James

When we finally got back to the mansion I immediately got out not wanting to see anyone, I just walked through the door when I seen Storm, Jean and "Mom!" I shouted when I saw my mother in her diamond form except there was a hole through her stomach.

"What happened?" I asked stomping over towards the women who were all heading towards the hospital wing, they laid my mother down on the table and called for beast.

"We were on a mission and your mother got shot." Storm said as she and Jean walked around grabbing things they'll probably have to use to help my mom.

"Is this why you weren't here today? You were too busy getting shot!" I shouted out feeling anger rush through my body, my mother gave a annoyed sigh before answering.

"James, I didn't know I was going to get shot. Even if I did I'd probably still go, we got the intel we needed." She said just as Beast walked in immediately walking over to her, she returned to human.

"James, I do ask that you leave. I don't really like doing this in front of minors." I glared at Hank before I felt someone grab my arm, I looked down at my mother.

I'll be fine

"Fine, if you die I'm kicking you." I said pointing at my mother who just rolled her eyes and laughed.

XX

"I heard what happened." I clutched at my chest when I heard the rough voice in my, or what I thought was, empty room. "Daken!"

"You can't just creep up like that you weirdo." I said glaring at the half-japanese boy, I rolled my eyes before I turned back to doing my homework.

"You seem to be handling it pretty well." Daken said, his voice getting closer by each word. I rolled my eyes at him again. "Of course I am."

"I'm a Frost, we don't handle our emotions we throw ourselves into whatever project we have and act like nothing happened.... We're just a bunch of rich, emotionally constipated jerks." I said trying to focus back on my homework, why can't he just leave.

"Isn't that all old-money rich people?" I stopped what I was doing and let a laugh slip pass my lips. "Yeah, I guess so."

"Okay listen I came here because I wanted to comfort you.... Y'know because of what happened on the miss-"

"Daken, that's one of the many things I'm trying to ignore right now and if I think about it, it'll make just my day even worse so can we like not?" I asked with my back still to him, during this whole conversation I haven't turned around. I sat in silence for a couple seconds before I went back to my homework assuming we left.

I, of course, was wrong.

My chair did a 180° and now I was facing my (half-) brother, he had a determine look on his face. "No James, we're gonna talk about this, because if I'm gonna keep your "little" secret I wanna talk about this now."

We stared into each others eyes, diamond blue meeting blueish green eyes. "Fine." I looked away, closed my laptop and turned back to him.

"What do you want to know?" I leaned back in my chair and waited for him to speak.

"Why?" I furrowed my brows at his question. "What do you mean "why?".... Do you mean why I'm here? Geez Daken I knew you were struggling in class bu-"

"James! Can you not be rude and snarky for once? I don't even know what I mean by "why?"" He sat down on my head and placed his head into his hands, great now I feel bad.

"Fine, I don't really what you mean by "why" but I'll try to expla-"

"Why did you never try and meet him?" Daken said taking his head out of his hands, he looked at me with a sincere look. The question startled me, I froze for a few seconds before I sighed.

"I did.... It was a long time ago, I think I was 11... It was night when I finally got to the mansion when I did.... I saw you, well all three of you just... Playing and laughing and... Just being a...." I shifted into my diamond form and looked away from Daken, I really don't want to feel anything. "Family?"

I looked back at Daken and nodded, they looked like a happy family and I realized.... I didn't want to change that for them. "You realize that Logan would've let you stay right?"

Of course, he says that. "I didn't want to risk that Daken, there I was a child with a absent father only to see him playing and having fun with some other kids, it hurt Daken."

"James.... Do you know my past?" I looked up at the young man and shook my head. "Laura's?" I looked to the side and shrugged my shoulders.

"Kinda." I said, Daken nodded before he release his breath. "My mother was killed before I was born, we think I only survived because I was a mutant.... If I had taken after my mother.... Well let's just say I would've end up like her." I shifted back into my human form and placed a hand on his wrist. "I'm sorry Daken."

"It.... It gets worse, someone found my mother, cut me out and then placed me on the doorstep of a couple, Akihira and Natsumi, I was raised by them for most of my life but the neighbors actually the entire town would call me daken, which means mongrel because of my obvious mixed heritage.... And my mother didn't love me either, she was cruel and hateful.... I even heard her say it herself that she didn't love me.

"The only person in that town that loved me, was my "father" and.... I ruined that. Natsumi got pregnant and I hated it because I felt that once that kid was born Akihira would no longer love me. So after it was born I went into the nursery and was going to.... Natsumi caught me in the room and saw through me so she caused a scene drove me out of the house.

"Akihira was trying to calm her and me down, she ran into the house and came back with a rifle, her threatening me caused my claws to come out, I didn't realize it until I heard them cut through her skin.... She fell to the ground and slowly bleed.... I kept apologizing and telling her not to go as she died in my arms... I looked up and saw Akihira with the gun and I thought he was gonna kill me and instead he aimed it at himself and.... I ran into the house and grabbed Junichiro, left him at a doorstep and ran." I stayed there frozen not knowing what to do or say, I felt the tears build up and I let them fall.

"Daken... I'm so sorry that happened to you.. But why exactly are you telling me this?" I asked him wiping at the tears that spilt, probably messing up my makeup.

"Because I know you're hiding something, there's a reason why you didn't stay and it wasn't because you saw us as a family... What was it?" Daken said placing his other hand on top of mine, my eyes widen and I quickly pulled away.

"Nothing."

"Ja-"

"Leave."

"Wha? James wait please let's talk-" I stood up and started shoving Daken towards the door.

"Leave! Get out!" I said before I opened my door, I stood at the door and pointed to the hallway. He scuffed and walked out the door before I could close the door he stopped it with his foot.

"You're such a cliche, you pull away as soon as you start feeling close with someone." He went to pull away but I reached my hand through the door and grabbed his arm.

"And you're nothing but a mongrel, remember that." I said narrowing my eyes at him letting him feel the hatred, I released his arm and slammed my door close.

I leaned against my door and released a shaky breath, I stood there for a few seconds and then rage seeped through. Feeling the anger swirl around me I grabbed from glass figurine and threw it against the wall, I let out a angry yell and soon I started to relax.

"Great, now I have to clean this shit up."