Chapter 1

You'd taken the DNA test to find out more about your ancestry. You didn't expect to find out more about your parentage.

There was a maternal match. It wasn't your mother. You stared at the account trying to guess who they could be. She was listed as only SJ, no other information was provided.

You hadn't known what to do, not for those first few days. You couldn't look the woman you'd thought was your mom in the eye. She'd lied to you. You were old enough to know, you should have been told. There'd always been this pressure for you to fit in better with the family. You stayed silent as the resentment filled you.

The words caught in your throat. At night you'd stare at the initials that hid your biological mother. You wondered why she was on the website.

It was three days until something happened.

You woke up to an email. An account related to you had reached out. It was your mother. You'd scrambled through the email, hitting the embedded link hurriedly.

'Hi.' The message opened. Your attention caught on the first word and your heart pounded. It was your mom's words.

'I've always hoped that I'd have the opportunity to write this. I want to say that I love you. That I always have. I''d like to get to know you better, if you want that too? - Scarlett'

You couldn't breathe, your eyes read the words over and over again. She loved you. You thought of the family around you that had never loved you quite right. You felt your heart fill with the hope that this was the reason why.

You mouthed her name silently to yourself, trying to decide if it sounded strange or familiar.

You went to school reluctantly, too distracted to focus on anything said during classes. You read the message over and over again, trying to believe it.

When the last school bell rung, you dawdled on the steps outside and sent a reply. You'd been trying to plan the best response all day, still you sounded awkward.

'Thank you. I want that more than anything - Y/N.'

You checked your phone again when you were back home. Scarlett's response was already sitting in your inbox.

'Would you like to call?' The message asked, along with a phone number.

Suddenly, everything felt very real.

You told her yes and arranged to call that evening. You were more withdrawn than ever that evening, no one in the house noticed. For once, you didn't care. All you could think about was the call.

At the agreed time, you typed in the phone number. The option to video call appeared. You pressed it. You wanted, more than anything to see what your mom looked like.

You felt your heart in your mouth as the phone dialled. The image cleared and your jaw dropped at the woman on the other end of the call.

You knew her. SJ flashed through your mind as you recognised Scarlett Johansson. She didn't look like you'd ever seen her.

Her hair was dirty blonde and tied back in a loose ponytail. She was wearing rounded glasses and seemed to be sitting in a home office. Her jumper was stripy.

The same strange and familiar feeling settled over you. Your Mom was one of the most famous people in the world and she looked so friendly.

Her smile was wide when she took in your face. You felt shy immediately, you'd been so excited to see your mom, you'd forgotten that she'd want to see you.

"Hi." She greeted you softly with a small wave.

You found yourself waving back, feeling so much younger than you had in years.