Chapter 2

It was still dark when you arrived at Scarlett's house. She lived within a gated community and you shrank back automatically in your seat as she drove past houses larger than any you'd ever seen before.

Neither of you were talking and the atmosphere felt awkward. She pulled into her driveway and turned off the car's engine. Scarlett turned to you and there was a long moment of silence. Your breathing felt too loud and you looked away in embarrassment.

Scarlett cleared her throat nervously. "We should head inside.' She mumbled and you nodded. You couldn't help the discomfort that was rising inside you. You wanted to trust her. She was your Mom. 

Still, this was a woman who had abandoned you once. An alarm bell rang quietly in your head, reminding you to stay guarded. You followed Scarlett to her front door.

Before she could turn her key in the lock, the door opened from the inside. The man standing there seemed friendly, his smile was polite. He was clearly expecting you both.

'This is Colin.' Scarlett informed you awkwardly and you tried to meet his smile. The weirdness of meeting such a welcoming stranger washed over you. Suddenly, it felt hard to breathe. You tried not to let it show on your face.

'It's nice to meet you.' Colin told you simply and you nodded silently. His arm slipped around Scarlett's waist as you both entered the house. He took your bag from Scarlett and kissed her cheek.

The prickling strangeness of everything kept creeping over your skin. The orange glow from the hallway window told you that dawn had just broken. 

You tried not to let your disorientation overwhelm you. It was natural for you to feel like this, so much had happened.

The awkward silence fell between you again as you lingered in the entrance. Colin seemed most aware of it. When Scarlett didn't say anything, he spoke again.

'You must be tired?' He asked. 'We can show you your room.'

You nodded again, your voice was caught in your throat. Scarlett looked nervous or uncomfortable, you couldn't tell which. You wondered if she was regretting inviting you here. 

Tears burned suddenly in your eyes, you fought hard not to let them fall.

The house was obviously beautiful, your head swivelled around as you followed them up the large wooden staircase. 

You walked along the next hallway thinking that this was easily the biggest house that you'd ever been in. 

You paused curiously when you passed by a very pink bedroom with its door ajar.

Scarlett caught your hesitation.

'Rose is staying with her Dad for the week.' She informed you, scanning your expression clearly to read your reaction. 'He had some work in the US.'

You kept your face purposefully neutral and nodded again. A tight and tangling knot started to build in your stomach. You had a sister, a half sister technically, but still a sister. You were too scared to ask if you'd be allowed to meet her.

You weren't even sure if you were going to be kept a secret from everyone, or just the public. You tried to be logical. It was understandable if Scarlett didn't want to tell anyone, her privacy wasn't always in her control.

Every time that Scarlett looked at you, you felt the shooting awareness that she was famous. You'd seen her on-screen countless times. 

You kept your mouth tightly shut as Colin led you into the room two doors down from Rose's bedroom. It was clean and bright, the bedspread was blue. The wooden furniture fit well with the rest of the house.