Jess's Bloody B-Day Party- Part II

Silence hung over the room like a midnight moon draped in the sky. Heads turned, and all eyes were glued on Kevin McConnel. One would've thought he was a celebrity by the way he commanded silence just by merely stepping into a room. However, he seemed completely oblivious to it until he spoke.

"Hey, everyone!" He cleared his throat. His voice echoed through the tense silence.

"Most of you know me from high school," he began, his words strained with emotion. "I'm sorry if I creep you all out, but I want you to know I'm not a killer. Never have been, never will be." His gaze swept across the room, searching for understanding. "Sure, I was involved in a robbery with some friends, but I've never taken a life. I wish you'd believe me. I'll do whatever it takes to prove I'm not the Masked Murderer."

A surge of anger ignited within me.

Who does this guy think he's fooling?

I spotted Corrine from the corner of my eye as she strode toward me, her expression a mix of disbelief and fury.

"Who the hell invited him?!" Corrine's eyes narrowed, her anger palpable as she crossed her arms over her chest. "I can't believe he had the nerve to show up here!" she exclaimed.

"Jess definitely wouldn't have invited him," Corrine continued, shaking her head disapprovingly and rolling her eyes toward the ceiling.

"I'm not paying him any attention." I started, "That's what he wants. Losers like him thrive on attention."

Starving and eager to escape Kevin's theatrical performance, I scanned the room until my gaze landed on the area next to the bar, where the food was laid out. Platters of cucumber sandwiches, turkey meatballs, and BBQ chicken wings caught my eye. I made my way over, drawn to the cucumber sandwiches. With a quick grab, I snatched one, stuffing the fluffy, bite-sized morsel into my mouth. I savored every bite of the deliciousness.

I wonder where Charles is?

My gaze swept around the party, yet no trace of him was visible. I guessed he had likely wandered off to chat with some friends.

I returned to the bar where Corrine stood, swirling a margarita in her hand. I observed her taking a sip, her demeanor still affected by Kevin's unexpected presence at Jess's party. She shook her head while her gaze remained fixed on Kevin as he mingled with Nathan across the room. We watched as he laughed with his friends, holding a Miller Draft beer in one hand and the other tucked into the pocket of his denim jeans.

"Look how comfortable he is?" Corrine's eyes beamed on Kevin.

"He makes me sick!" I exclaimed, unable to bear watching Kevin any longer. I turned away, scanning the lodge for Jess.

Finally, I spotted her. Her long black curls cascaded elegantly down her back as she stood across the lodge, adjusting the gold-colored party strings hanging from the ceiling. As she bent down to pick up a few that had slipped from her grasp, her jet-black curls fell over her face. Catching my gaze, she shot me an exasperated look, rolling her eyes in frustration.

"Party is over!" Jess announced loudly in an irritated tone.

"What?!" I asked, shocked. "Why are you ending the party so early, Jess?" I placed my hands on my hips as I stood in front of Jess, watching her pull on each golden string, ripping the balloons from the ceiling.

"I don't want Kevin here," she admitted with a sigh. "I'm just going to end the party earlier than I planned to. He's not only ruined my birthday, he's ruined my entire mood."

I sympathized with Jess's frustration, but letting Kevin's presence spoil the entire party for herself and everyone else seemed counterproductive. It would be more effective if she asked him to leave rather than allowing his presence to overshadow the celebration.