Chapter 7

"What?" Reza asked for her sister.

"You're lying."

"While I am capable of lying, I choose not to." Darcel confessed. "To be completely honest, we have been looking for you for a very long time. We knew of you, but did not know where you had been hidden."

"You're... there's no way. You have to be lying! I'm the daughter of the fucking Devil himself and the Mother of Succubi!" Hecate answered.

"Samael was an Archangel before he was Lucifer." Darcel corrected. "And evil is the wrong name for him. He's always associated with evil, and portrayed that way in media. But he chose to leave heaven and maintain hell. He was never banished. He was a good man, and the most powerful out of all the Archangels. He went to hell because no one else could keep the devils in line like he could."

"Then why do people think him evil!?"

Darcel shrugged. "Stories and tales get twisted over retellings and time."

"Why was he cursed?"

"His brother Raphael cursed him because he thought that Samael was lying when he said he wasn't planning an uprising. Raphael thought his brother was planning to overthrow heaven with a legion of devils and undead. Raphael cursed him, and proved that wasn't the case. When Raphael went to remove the curse, Samael denied it, saying that lying was a sin, and to prove he would never do it he wanted to keep the curse."

"Then how did he fall in love with Lilith?" Hecate asked.

"Because Lilith was Lilith." Darcel shrugged. "I'm not fully versed in Devil politics, but Lilith was the head of the Circle of Lust for an eternity. One of the first Devils ever, and by far one of the most powerful, she was one of the leading voices in Hell forever. Like I said, tales are twisted by retellings and time, but I was told she had a relationship with Samael for years before finally culminating in the birth of a hybrid. One that both races saw as an abomination. She took her children before breaking away from Hell entirely. Those that followed her became the first succubi. She took that child and brought them to the mortal world to keep safe where no one would find them. Samael knew of this child's birth and sent his Devils into the world to look, but they never found Lilith or the child for centuries."

"But they did find her?" Reza asked.

"They found Lilith. Not the child." Darcel explained. "Samael called on his brother's and sisters, begging them to help him find Lilith and the child, and eventually they did. I had heard Lilith was killed by Amenadiel. But the child was never found. Grief stricken, Samael deferred hell to the Nine Circles, allowing the Archdevils to govern themselves as long as they followed his rules, before disappearing. Samael hasn't been seen or heard from since."

"He's still alive?" Hecate asked.

Darcel shrugged. "I don't know. Amenadiel, always had a soft spot for Lilith and Samael. I don't know if he really had it in him to kill her, but her horns are on display in Heaven."

"He... they took a trophy?" Reza asked.

"The angels wanted proof that Lilith was no longer a threat." Darcel answered. "They were- they are terrified of her."

"Why? What was so bad about her?"

"How easily she swayed Angels. All she had to do was speak and everyone listened. Like they were compelled to obey every word she said. Archangels swooned on every note and tune like she was constantly singing. She convinced Raphael to put down his spear and leave rather than fight her, and all she did was ask. If she wanted to she could have ruled Heaven and Hell." Darcel explained.