Chapter 52

Walking through the garden's, holding hands, Calypso looked up at everything in awe. She had seen the grounds from the windows of the dining room, but to actually be walking through them was slightly different. The air was a hundred times cleaner than it was at Willow Creek, and she could easily hear the wildlife that had made their home in the garden.

"I'm still blown away that we're living here for three months." Calypso grinned ear to ear.

"I don't know why." Hecate scoffed. "Nemi gave us permission, and we're already here."

"When is she going to wake up?" Calypso asked.

"Late." Hecate chuckled. "She's going back to her normal nocturnal-ness since we're all moved in. Probably around four or five in the afternoon."

"And Andrea is asleep too?"

"She's Nemi's bodyguard, so yes."

"Are there other bodyguards also watching the grounds?"

"I mean... each and every member of my family is lethal. I don't think she really needs any now." Hecate shrugged. "But I wouldn't be surprised if the servants were also able to protect themselves."

"Kind of a terrifying thought." Calypso noted, watching the pond as they walked around the edge, following the stone path that surrounded the pond. "I know your family is a bunch of Gods and Goddesses, but this still blows me away at how well made this is."

"Are you a professional pond rater?"

"As a mermaid I think I'm more certified than you are to do that."

"I never claimed to be a pond rater. That would just be weird." Calypso scoffed. As she went to speak a frog croaked off to the side somewhere and she paused to glance in its direction before looking back over towards Hecate to continue speaking, only to glare at her shit-eating grin. "Don't you dare."

"What? I didn't say anything!"

"I can just hear the bullshit comment already. 'Oh, watch out Cally, your lunch is about to get away!'" Calypso mocked.

"Wh-How dare you assume I would say such a thing."

"Tell me I'm wrong."

"Well I can't do that Cally, I'm physically incapable of lying remember."

Calypso couldn't help but laugh as she gently nudged her shoulder without releasing her hand. "You're becoming far too predictable." Calypso scoffed.

"I think it's just enough to keep you on your toes while still expecting me to be ridiculous."

Calypso rolled her eyes. "Can we come back out here at night? I can see a bunch of lamp posts so I know they light this place up."

"Well, the idea was to talk to Nemi and ask if we can swim in the pond, remember? And also eat the frogs."

"I would be happy to just come out and explore again in the dark. I'm sure it's beautiful."

"Can you see in the dark?" Hecate questioned.

"Yeah. I don't think it's as good as vampire night vision, but I get by pretty well." Calypso explained with a shrug. "It helps a lot for swimming in the pitch black, but I can also use echolocation. Though it's much more effective underwater."

"You can use echolocation above the water?" Hecate blinked in surprise.

"Technically? But like I said, it's nowhere near as effective as underwater. I get fuzzy shapes of the people and things around me."