2: 10 Years Ago (Part One)

"Welcome back!" A cheery girl said, her face adorned with tattoos and piercings. She rushed us through a gate and sealed it shut with air magic. An air clan? Here?

"Master Twilie is in, right?" Jaan asked, the tattooed girl nodded. "Thank you. We have important business with him."

"What is this place?" I asked quietly. Varin gazed down at me, still holding me like a baby. I had dozed off from how warm he was. My head gently bopping against his bare chest. The place shut off from the outside world was stuffed with small huts, each having a large blade of what looked like grass as roofs and large circular tree trunks as their bases. They had carved their homes into the trees to blend in, to not be found. In glasses hung from string, flames danced. The smell of meat cooking and the sounds of the villagers singing were too much for me to handle.

"This is an exiles paradise. It has no name. It's far better that way. So if we are ever caught and tortured. Then we will never be able to lead them here." Jaan explained, leading us to a larger tree trunked home. He pushed the soft white curtain door aside. "Go on in first. I will speak with Twilie immediately."

"Very well." Varin nodded, following instructions. The hut was warned by a singular firepit in the middle. Around the fire was small rooms. The homes were indeed carved. Varin sat me down on a rather soft pillow. I stared at him when he sat beside me. Sharp features he had. His eyes were feline like in shape and you could only see the whites of his eyes when he gazed left to right. His pale skin and dark hair brought out his golden eyes. "Why are you staring?"

"I...I'm sorry."

"No need." He leaned back, resting his weight on his arms and sighed.

"I..." His eyes gazed at me curiously waiting for me. "I wish I knew my name. Then...you would stop calling me a child."

"You are small." He simply stated. The fire forced shadows to dance along the pale beige walls.

"That... skeleton. I fear he was my father-"

"Hello, Varin. I've heard from Jaan what you two explorers found. Hello, dear boy. How are you feeling?" An elderly elven man asked, dressed in wavy black robes. He sat down in a chair opposite the fire and gave me a short but kind smile. "Do you know what your name is?"

"I do not."

"I see. The after effects of that specific elixir. Amnesia. Though, I do not know if it is temporary or permanent. Only time will tell."

"Elixir?"

"Yes, the elixir that Varin found in the skeletons hand. That bottle tells a story, dear boy."

"It does?" I asked, confused. Watching the elder elven's dark blonde hair swish about on his chest. His blue eyes reflecting the fire burning away.

"I do believe your village was crucified by the air clan. There was human blood on the arrow, Varin found. The elixir you drank, it is one that will put a person...into a hibernation period. For how long depends upon how strong it is made. The bottles date was faded but stated it was made 10 years ago when the air clan fell from grace. We thought the air clan and the guardians would forever shield us from harm. Until they themselves harmed us. Sye the Siren and heroes of Wysteria came to rescue their bordered villages. Other clans saved the villages and people they could. But sadly some villages that were too close to the air clan city were used as examples."

"So...I slept for 10 years... through a war?" I asked, lowering my eyes down to my body. "How? I didn't eat. Or drink. Yet I grew? I survived? How?" I questioned wiping my dirty face with my hand.

"The elixir preserved the food you ate and the water you drank long enough to slowly give you sustenance allowing you to survive and grow in hibernation. It is a long but forgotten elixir that died away with the elder elves that fought in the war. I sincerely wish I could have learned it. Perhaps it would be of help for you. I apologize dear human that I cannot help you recover all you've lost. But some memories I can help with."

"I don't have a name...I can't remember it." The Elf glowered and frowned deeply upset.

"I will name it...Orii." Varin suddenly announced, patting my head. Heat rushed to my cheeks. What?

"He isn't a puppy. And not an it either."

"Orii looks like a wounded puppy we have to help heal and warm with our open arms." Varin simply stated like it wasn't a big thing. My eyes stayed on his face. He seemed quite content with the name he gave me. I spotted two bones that stuck out from the top of his broad back. My hand reached,  without thinking, and gently touched the two softened lumps. He flinched and looked at me in surprise, a sad flash in his eyes before he returned to his everything is fine gaze.

"I'm sorry but what happened?"

"Varin-"

"No, I can do it." He cut off Jaan and let out a deep breath. "I am a dragon, ah, was a dragon. I am exiled because I did not pledge my allegiance to the dragon army. I did not want to pledge to supporters of the air clan. Even if they had separated from them. They still helped kill...the blood remains on their hands even till this day."

"They tore his wings off and threw him from the dragon isle in the sky." Jaan finished what was too hard for Varin to continue. Varin gave him a soft smile and nod, thanking him for finishing. I frowned and lowered my hand from his back. "I found him, laid out in a field bleeding out. So I healed him. We were but teen tots. Grew up together. That's why he's annoying. Like a little brother."

"It's what I am here for." Varin teased sheepishly. The soft chuckle that escaped his throat sounded like a lullaby to me. So sweet and short. A hand clasped mine. I stared ahead at the old elven man, Twilie.

"I will do everything in my power to help you, dear child. Varin and Jaan will assist you. It has grown late and we must all eat and rest. There is a hot springs here. I will get my eldest son to help with clothing that will fit you. Did you want a nickname?" He asked concerned, worried about me.

"Orii." I answered. Varin grunted, proudly. Twilie smiled. Wrinkles formed around his soft eyes.

"Very well, Orii. I look forward to helping you. I hope we can help you remember. That elixir was extremely powerful. So I will need a few days to research the bottle and figure out where it was made and by whom. I hope you do not mind."

"I don't."

"Very well. Go, wash, eat and get some well deserved rest. Tomorrow will be a much better day." Twilie smiled petting my hair. "Perhaps you would like your hair cut. We can have that arranged as well. Goodnight dear child. Varin, Jaan." He bid us all Goodnight. Varin helped me to my feet and Jaan joined in assisting with helping me walk.

"You should have a little more strength tomorrow. We can help you with walking again." Jaan let me know. They held onto me gently as I tried to walk by myself but every step was too heavy to take.

____________________________________

So what do you think happened 10 years ago? ?(•^•)? Are you ready for a darker story?

Like and comment. They do encourage me to publish chapters faster and let me know y'all enjoy it so far. (^-^)/