7: Not Right Now...

"Wake up!"

"Die like we did..."

"Happy birthday, my son."

"Nai...how could you do something that irresponsible..." Twilie scolded.

"I didn't think. All's that came to mind was I needed to get us out of there or that corrupted dragonheart would have seen us." Nai explained, his finger tapping in a rhythm on the wooden table beside my bed. I gazed at him with hooded eyes.

"I want to get stronger." I said weakly. Twilie hummed and set a warm cloth on my forehead. His eyes full of worry, he shook his head gently.

"Not yet, child."

"I am 24 today. I'm not a child." I stated, Twilie stared at me like a raised my hand to him. He sat down across from Nai. "I heard my dad...in the whispers. He hushed them. I heard my dad." I smiled softly.

"Nai, is that what you hear?"

"When I first got the power yes, lots of whispers but then I heard Mother and it was fine. I was safe. I am safe." Nai frowned, resting his elbows on his thighs he sat ahead in the seat and stared down at the ground. "I'm sorry about that....I never got your name."

"I don't remember my name but they call me Orii." I responded, forcing myself to sit up. Nai stood up helping me by setting pillows behind me to help me stay sat up. He held onto my hand gently. I stared at his face, hardened from years of anger and hurt. Yet well defined. Lines from healed wounds on his chin, above his brow and a gash across his nose. Soft heart shaped lips. A pointy perfectly sculpted nose. Eyes that seem to see through me. Is this what adults call attraction? No...it's a crush. No...it is just admiration. No....I don't know. I pulled up the soft white blanket that was decorated with woven in butterflies. How fitting.

"You should get some rest. You pushed yourself too hard. Your legs are bruised up." He let me know, slowly releasing my hand. His hands were cold while mine were naturally warm. I nodded.

My hut was silent as they left. Why did I feel lonely again? Lost...maybe. The hut was empty except for a bedroom and bathroom. The only door was for the bathroom. The front door was only a large leaf. The hut had beautiful flowers drawn upon the walls that were painted different colors. The middle of the Hut's main area had a circular fireplace dug into it. It was what kept it warm. The bedroom is adorned with a beautiful tapestry with soft bubbly fairies tending to flowers. It was peaceful.

My feet ached with a feeling of dull needles being pressed against the bottom, like a pair of long twisty nails were being swiped at. I rubbed my hazy head and managed to swing my feet to the side of the bed. I was indeed bruising up as Nai informed. A frown crossed my face then pain. It felt as if I weighed a ton and was stepping on sharp jagged rocks. I made it to the bathroom and opened the door. Fumbling for the light into the bathroom, it felt strangely ominous. Like something was wrong. I swear I could have seen something run by the dim light from the burning fire in the middle of the room. Alas my finger flipped a switch and the bathroom came into view and so did a figure. A large mirror stared back at me. I shook my head gently patting my chest and went to do what needed to be done.

"Happy Birthday..." I said to my reflection then looked down. Retreating out into the main room. A conversation pit with the fire in the middle was the only place to sit. I was sore indeed but curiousity was getting the best of me. So I scooted myself towards the kitchen, freezing as I heard mumbling. Then stood by the small open window. A girl spoke softly almost too softly.

"...but you didn't greet him nicely. Why must you be so mean, Ari?" I slightly tilted my head a little confused. Who was this?

"I can't do this right now, Olina. I really can't listen to this." Ari seemed to almost beg. I put my hand on the windowsill and used it to slowly help myself peek through. It was as I thought. Ari was sat on his knees in the dirt. He held onto his head and rocked back and forth gently, distressed. "Stop it, Olina. Stop."

"...Be kind."

"It's hard...it is a stranger... unwanted."

"I don't want to hear that. What kind of prince are you?" The girl asked leaving Ari in a strange state. Suddenly he gazed up and I could feel my legs shaking. No. Not now. "Well? You will apologize for being cold tomorrow, yes? " I stared harder...Ari is doing the voice? What in the world?

"Yes, I will. I promise, Olina. I will." He nodded in agreement. My eyes were wide and my mouth grew dry. Something is wrong...not right.

"Who's there?" Ari said in the girl's soft voice. My legs gave out under me and I winced quickly feeling an arm drag me away from the window and hold me from falling.

"I think you should sleep." Nai announced, carrying me like a bag of potatoes to the room. He sat me down on the bed with his hands on my shoulders now. His eyes intense. "You do not speak of that to him. Hear me?"

"What was that? Is Ari not well?" I questioned more confused than ever.

"Ari......saw things and has moments of weakness. He will be fine tomorrow. Do not bring it up. Don't even stare at him funny. You are lucky he did not notice." Nai informed me, forcing me to lay down so he could drag the blanket over my bruised weak body. I stared up at him completely frazzled.

"I don't understand..."

"It is not for me to explain. Nor do I have to. Not to you." He hissed dismissing me. I lowered my eyes from his feeling a little defeated. "Go to sleep now."

"Nai..." I said rather quickly and had reached for his hand. I held onto his wrist gently. "..tell me more about the shadow realm. I need to know more. Was it really my dad I heard?"

"I will answer tomorrow. I am going to bed." He growled, pulling free from my soft grip and thumped out of the hut. No answers. Only more questions. Is Ari truly okay? There's so much going on with these people and I've only been here for a week. Something is definitely strange.