6: A Childish Mind

Wooden plates were passed around the table and once full with ham, vegetables, fruits and sweet cake, they emptied. The feast was over. My plate still held some food on it and I could only push the beets around on my plate along with alot of the meat. A frown on my face. The last guardians...must be an awful title to be given. Do they miss the leader? What were they like before the great war? I want to become stronger. 10 years not walking, talking and experiencing life has me deprived me. I set my fork down beside the barely empty plate. Varin and Jaan kept adding foods onto it. I don't want to eat. Not right now.

They were speaking in hushed tones the entire time. I was placed to sit with the teens while the ones older all sat beside Twilie. But Jaan kept checking on me. I guess they are my caregivers? The other kids all different races; elves, humans, air clan, hybrid kids (wolves, and that), ones known as Sirens all sat and talked about how the teens made such a wonderful feast. I'm glad they were taught to take care of themselves. My hands sat on my lap, my eyes lowered. I did not have enough mental capacity to sit with the adults. My body was of a 23 year olds...yet my mind was still 13.

The wind gently swayed the string bottle lights full of candles that illuminated the table spread. The table was at least 12 feet in length. Where the adults sat, behind them was a large fireplace. The fire crinkled and kept the large dining room warm. I placed my napkin onto my plate and pushed myself up to my feet. My chair squeaking as it was forced back from my suddenness. All eyes were on me. It was silent. My heart flipped and I pushed myself to walk out of the dining room as fast I could. Another two chairs scraped against the wooden floor. Varin and Jaan. Most likely. I got outside and glanced around.

The huts, the lights illuminating the walkway. The drawings and large leaf patios. There was no where to hide if I wanted to be truly alone. I bit my lip feeling the muscles tighten in my legs. I could almost feel the muscles slowly tear apart as I closed my eyes and let out a scream. The walkway began to fade as my feet started to run under me. It was a strange feeling. I wanted to escape. Like I was some bad guy.

Was I?

"Ah..." I managed as my legs gave out and I scraped my knees on a rock path leading to a small hill. The moon shone through the small opening. An escape. I shook my head and got back up feeling the warm blood drip down. Ignoring how much pain my legs were in, I forced myself to walk forward. Up the hill to where the moon peeks in. My arm reached ahead and pulled aside the leaves hiding me from the outside world. My eyes widened as I finally stood on the edge of what I thought was just a hill.

"It's a cliff..." I mumbled, frozen. Letting the large leaf close behind me.

Smoke billowed in Enda. Seems like there was still a war raging. A frown carved itself into my face. My legs gave out and I positioned myself to let them hang off the cliff. Gently rocking myself back and forth. Bright blasts of light would light up the dark night sky. Small trickles of rain slowly came down. It wasn't raining in the village. Magic maybe? Twilie is an old elven man. Of course there would be magic.

"This is where you are." A sudden deep piercing voice said, my eyes looked around and I popped up seeing the strange man walk out from behind my shadow. He smirked down at me, plopping down. Gazing over and watching the blasts. A frown on his face. "I am Nai. I am an Assassin of the shadows."

"The assassin of the shadows." I corrected him which caused him to chuckle. He was a very toned man. I stared at the blasts. "The war never ended..."

"No...it still rages on...air clan corrupted are still fighting... dragonheart corrupted...there is nothing we can do but hope it doesn't get close to where we are." Nai pushed his hair out of his face.

"You won't tell them where I am will you?" He shook his head.

"No need...they are suffocating. Living in their mirage of a happy life. Thinking the war is over. Thinking that the great leader Canton and his beloved dragonheart Mulnire are dead..." Nai stammered over his words, frowning as more blasts happened. "It's almost like fireworks."

"Is the sky always so dark?"

"Since Canton died...yes. You can't just kill the air clan with the voice of light without any problems, can you? The Goddess Sun ignores Enda....The God Moon won't even try it's hardest to brighten the lands. Why would you want to see how many dead there are?"

"How did the sun shine..."

"A few days ago? That's exactly why I came with Dukem. Something weird happened. Canton must have healed? Or it was just the Goddess Sun feeling generous. Canton can't just die...he died once but it seems the Gods and Goddesses don't think he should. He was revived on the great battlefield. But 10 years ago...it was different."

"So much I have to learn..." I mumbled upset, lowering my eyes from the battle happening far away. Rubbing my arm, a yawn escaped my lips and I stared ahead. "I want to see my dad..."

"Me too." Nai said, resting his chin on his knee, letting his other leg hang off the cliff. "I left home at 13 and absolutely hated Dukem and my father. If I could go back...well I would change it. Dukem and I fought each other on the Great Battlefield. I was cocky... overpowered. It hurt."

"Why?"

"I was a stupid kid. My power... fading into shadows...it does become a curse."

"But it's an advantage..."

"If you say so." Nai scoffed, I watched his handsome face change expressions. Hardened from years of anger. It seemed to soften when he met my eyes. Our eyes stayed glued then I tore mine away. A hand was held out to me.

"I...just want to sit here for a while."

"Listen, kid. I know you are extremely weak. And after watching you struggle to run, I suggest for you to take my hand or you will fall from the cliff..." Nai instructed me, his hand still in my view. I pouted. Something caught my eye when a blast happened. Something extremely huge was flying our way.

"Nai....what is that?" I asked.

"What is..." Nai trailed off. "Fuck."

Suddenly muscular arms were wrapped around me and I was swallowed by nothing but darkness. I could hear the whispers flooding the dark. So I clamped my eyes closed. Nai's arms weren't squeezing me to death tight but were tight enough. Almost like he was afraid to break something fragile. The whispers grew louder. I opened my eyes hearing a loud crash. Nai coughed and held me to his chest. We laid out amongst the kids. Twilie rushed to us.

"Nai, Orii are you two alright? Nai...you...how did you pull him through the shadows....why?"

BOOM!

"Quickly, everyone! Help me hide us!" Twilie shouted, raising his hand up. The kids followed. Their hands released a soft glow that helped power up a shield around the village. Twilie huffed and puffed taking much of the blows. "Ari! Nai! Go check the way in and the cliff!" Nai tried to move me but I clutched onto his black shirt. He growled and my hand fell loose. I was too weak to keep my eyes open. The whispers continued until only some became clear.

"Listen to me...listen...I didn't mean to....look what you did....look what you did...how could I have not listened....why did I....why...."

"It was his fault...."

"He killed us!"

"Hush...." All the voices did as it said.

Dad's voice.