9: 2 Weeks Later

"Fire!"

The arrow narrowly missed his head and he sighed, Nai strained his dark blue eyes at me. Throwing his arms up. I winced when the rope scraped against the raw skin on my arm. Biting my tongue, I raised my aching arms up. Steadying the bow. He held up his hand in front of his face.

"Here! Aim here! I will catch it!"

"I don't want to hit you!" I screamed at him, annoyed by his insistence to get hit by the sharp arrow. "Stupid..."

It has been two weeks since this harsh training regimen has began and my body has definitely gotten much stronger. Albeit with quite a bit of aches and pains, but it is stronger. So much so, our daily morning walk has turned into a jog. My legs occasionally give out but I push myself back up. Since I realized Nai won't take no or I can't do it for an excuse. The only one he would take is, I think I'm dying. Even so, I don't know if he would even care. Probably sit by my corpse and call me lazy.

Jeez, he annoys me. I grimace, pulling the bow string back. Holding my breath and watching the arrow fly above his head. Nai finally seems to have had enough. I raise another arrow and pull the string back in time for him to smash his hand against the sharp tip of the arrow. I gasped, watching it quickly enter his hand. Then gawk where he simply pulls his hand free, staring as it heals up immediately. He glared at me.

"You are going to be pathetic on the battlefield. What? Are you going to try to talk it out when they are flinging fire at you? They want to burn you alive. They want to slice your soft body in half. They want to kill us. And what... you'll stand there saying why can't we be friends?" Nai spit at me. I winced by how harsh his voice became when he was irritated.

"I didn't ask to be on the battlefield." I responded, I wanted to sound as harsh as him but my voice was still too weak for it. Nai huffed and shook his head at me.

"You think I did?" He shot back.

"Well...I don't...." I sighed, and straightened my posture. "No."

"I've had to fight in battles and wars. I've been both good and bad. I've seen the outcomes of wimps like you. I hope you at least dig your grave deep enough so animals can't reach you, all except the maggots." Nai hissed angrily turning his back to me. Walking away. I followed behind him raising the bow. Getting ready to smash it against his head when a hand grabs the top of it. I stare at it confused.

"Do not, ever, hit an assassin from behind when they trust you. Or you will definitely have to be buried." Dukem's voice whispered in my ear, I shivered from the distaste in it. I let go of the bow and stopped altogether, turning to look at Dukem who then shook his head upset with me.

"I'm sorry...I just..." I lowered my head ashamed that I was gonna hurt Nai. He was cold and a little mean. But he was honest. Honest about how the world works now. I rubbed my raw wounded arm and felt awful.

Glancing over to Nai and Twilie speaking. That's it. Even the kids would not startle Nai. Instead they call his name from the side of him to announce themselves then they hug him. He is stiff when hugged though. The sun enhanced how awfully scarred his back was. His stunning tanned skin was scarred with splothy red and light brown. He was still an amazingly handsome man. Today was hot so both he and Dukem were shirtless. Which seemed to interest the young women quite a bit. It seemed Dukem had more interest.

"Are you done admiring your instructor?" Dukem teased, ushering me to follow. I hurried but he held up his hand. Stop. "Walk with me, but slowly. I understand that your body is probably very overworked. But Twilie sees it as progress. We all do. We're proud of you." He said causing my heart to fill with warmth. Proud of me. A smile threatened to spring onto my face. Nai said don't show emotions to throw others off. "What? No smile?" Dukem asked, crossing his arms teasing me with his muscly arms. I stared at my little ones, sad.

"Nai said it's best not to-"

"Nai is a prude when it comes to emotions though. I don't want to come to you and think oh look it's a copy of a Nai. I want you to be who you are, emotions and all. It is on the battlefield you mustn't show emotions." I nodded then allowed my smile to surface. I was happy. I am making them proud.

"Dukem...can I ask you more about the group? What happened with the air clan? And...I need to tell you something concerning." I began playing with the loose end of the too big shirt on me.

"Yes, sure." Dukem nudged his chin towards Ujik and Suzuki. Ujik held a map and Suzuki was saying something to him. They sat on a log bench near the trees. "They've...been planning how to get back into the castle of the air clan. That forever burning castle in the horizon you can see from the cliffside. There are far too many monsters and corrupted soldiers no matter which route they try to plan out. It seems to hurt Ujik. Ujik held Canton high in his friend group. They may have seemed to dislike each other. But they were best of friends. Ujik blames himself. That...scroll shouldn't have been found. If it was even a scroll? Suzuki tries his best to heal Ujik's sadness. They are the tacticians of the group. Nai is a defender and I am the attacker. With...Canton we would have been completed. Canton was our leader, he lead us to many victories. His dragonheart Mulnire was our militia of the sky. Canton had a younger brother that left Enda to help run the underworld. So he was safe from the extermination. He...he still  doesn't know."

"That's...." I couldn't even contemplate how awful it would be for the brother to find out. I stopped walking and stared at Ujik. So that is the feeling. Sadness. He was a vampire. But losing the people he loved and cared for hurt him for many centuries. "I can't imagine how much pain Ari must be in." I murmured softly. My heart twinged with hurt.

"Ari...he's..." Dukem stumbled.

"I...seen something with him a few weeks ago. A few times now actually." I gently held onto Dukem's arm and tried to tip toe so I could whisper to only him. He instead leaned his head towards me. "He was... speaking like in a mocking manner of...a girl named Olina. Who is that? He was harming himself. And it was concerning to see." Dukem stared at me, worry plastered all over his face. He seemed on high alert by what I just said.

"Oh.... really?" He mumbled, almost barely audible. I let go of his arm and stepped back with a nod.

"I am worried about him."

"As am I. Thank you for bringing this up to me. Twilie keeps reassuring me that Ari is mentally sound. But...this is very concerning. I must let Nai and the others know. Just in case. Well I'll be off. Remember... don't hit Nai from behind." Dukem reminded me, hurrying over to Ujik and Suzuki.

"What did you speak about?" Nai asked suddenly standing behind me. I jumped.

"Stop that!" I screamed at him.

"Dinner has been prepared. Everyone let's return to eat and rest. You have all worked so hard today, my children." Twilie announced, happily. The teens cheered and rushed to dinner. Twilie was helped to the main road. Ari always by his side.

Was that Olina persona the reason Twilie didn't like Ari to leave his sight?

Was Ari safe?