Troubling Proposals

"What've you got there?" Rapunzel asked, leaning over Hugo's shoulder. The boy fumbled with something between his fingers before turning to face the girl.
"Nothing- nothing important." He chuckled, tucking the ring away.
"Uh huh." The brunette grinned and walked off past Hugo, "He's gonna love it." She whispered as she went.
Hugo smiled at this then turned to watch Varian and his father packing luggage into a wagon.
When he approached, Varian grinned,
"Finally decided to come and help us, then?"
"I was sayin' goodbye to Cat and Angry." The boy explained, taking a sack from Varian's arms.
"You're leaving goodbyes this late?" He chuckled.
"Just making the rounds, Goggles." The blonde turned to put the bag in the cart.
"It's weird leaving again...Somehow it feels different from last time but...the same."
"Well, you got me this time round." Hugo smirked.
"Hooray." Varian joked, earning a nudge from the other boy.
"This is the last one." Quirin walked over with a crate, placing it in the wagon.
"Thanks for the help, dad." Varian smiled.
"Of course." Quirin smiled and his eyes fell upon Hugo, who looked aside, nervously.

"Varian!" Lance called, "Thought you could leave without saying a final goodbye?" The man wrapped an arm around Varian and ruffled his hair.
The boy forced a smile, brushing his hair back, "'Course not, Lance."
"You've gotta come say goodbye to the girls."
"Sure."
The two walked off and Hugo risked a glance at Quirin only to meet his stony gaze.
"Quirin..."
"Hugo..."
There was a short silence.
"There was, uh...there was actually something I wanted to ask you." Hugo started again, looking up at the man.
Quirin crossed his arms and raised an eyebrow, "Go on."
Hugo stared for a moment.
"Right." Hugo shuffled where he stood and cleared his throat, "I...well- y'know..." The blonde looked around then lowered his voice, "I want to propose to Varian...but only with your blessing." The boy fiddled with his fingers and finally looked at Quirin again.
For a moment, the boy was sure he was about to receive a stern talking to. Then Quirin's face broke into a smile and he moved close to embrace the boy.
Hugo's eyes widened and he tensed up,
"Not...that I'm not thrilled by this sudden development in our relationship, but this isn't the reaction I was expecting." He chuckled.
Quirin laughed too as he moved away,
"I'll admit I had my reservations about you at first...but I can see how happy you make Varian." The man looked over at his son, who was laughing with Angry and Catalina, "Of course you have my blessing, Hugo." Quirin chuckled and the blonde smiled widely.
"Y'know, you're not as scary as I always thought."
The man furrowed his brows.
"Is...what I would say if you weren't such a great and understanding guy."
"I understand." Quirin smiled, "I was a knight, you know."
"Oh..." Hugo cleared his throat, "That would...explain it." He joked, "Well, I'm gonna go over there now." Hugo pointed to Varian, Lance and the girls then made himself scarce.

"Hey, are you about ready to leave?" Varian asked as Hugo approached.
"Yeah- just saying bye to...your dad." The blonde responded, awkwardly.
"Great- I think I've said goodbye to everyone, so let's get going- we wanna reach Vlamudia before dark."
"You got it, Goggles." Hugo replied and Varian walked off towards the wagon. Hugo was about to follow when Lance stood between him and Varian.
The blonde heaved a sigh and crossed his arms, "Lance. I'm gonna miss you so much while I'm gone. Be strong. We'll be back before you know it." Hugo said in a dull, routine tone.
Lance just stared, slowly narrowing his eyes. Hugo furrowed his brows, "What're you doin' right now?" He backed away slightly.
"I know that look." The man said.
"Huh?" Hugo raised an eyebrow.
"Eugene!" Lance called, "Get over here!" He said through gritted teeth once he had gotten the King's attention. Eugene looked around then joined them, "What is it, Lance?"
"Do you see that look in his eyes?" Lance questioned, gesturing to Hugo, who suddenly became a bit self-conscious.
"What look?" Hugo asked.
Eugene looked the blonde in the eyes and narrowed his own before gasping, "You're going to propose."
Hugo's eyes widened and he looked around frantically, "Wha- no- no, I'm not."
"You can't fool me. I've seen that look many a-times." Lance commented.
"Let me give you fair warning- proposing is not easy." Eugene grabbed the boy's shoulders.
"How hard can it be? I just offer him a ring and ask him to marry me." Hugo smirked.
"Oho," Eugene looked to Lance, "He thinks he's prepared."
"Tragic." Lance added.
Hugo nudged the brunette's hands off of him.
"Lemme tell you- from experience...it's not that easy. What if he says no?" Eugene crossed his arms.
"What if he hates the ring?" Lance asked.
"Woah- woah, I don't need you two whispering doubts in my ears. I'm nervous enough as it is." The blonde chuckled anxiously, looking over at Varian.
"As you should be." Lance put a hand on Hugo's shoulder, "You know how long it took Eugene to get Rapunzel to say yes?"
"About three years?" Hugo grinned.
"Exactly- and it was so, so sad to watch- you should ask Hook Foot-"
"That's quite enough, Lance!" Eugene insisted.
"Ok, well first of all- this is completely different cause Varian wasn't locked in a tower for eighteen years with magic sunshine hair and second...what was second? Oh, yeah- I'm way more charming than you are." The blonde smirked smugly at Eugene.
"But Varian does have the whole 'glowing hair' thing going on." Lance reminded Hugo, who lost the smug smirk quickly.
"Well, I think our work is complete." Lance looked to Eugene as Hugo's face fell into a more concerned expression, "And if you ever need any more expert advice-"
"'Expert advice'?" Eugene laughed, "You've never proposed to anyone."
"Yes, but I've never had my proposal rejected by anyone either."
"We're married now, aren't we? We just had to get the timing right. Look, kid...I don't know why I'm trying to help you after all your pranking...but here's my advice: Take your time, communicate, and you'll know when the time is right." Eugene patted the blonde's shoulder and him and Lance walked away, leaving Hugo contemplating the whole proposal idea.